Are we really heading into August?! As much as I’d like to say that I’m so excited for boots and sweaters, that’s still a few months away from us 😉 Even so, August has an almost-fall feel as students head back to school, Halloween decorations start to adorn store shelves (let’s be real, Hobby Lobby is on the Christmas bandwagon ALREADY) and we head into football season. (Roll tide!)
Here are some ways to make August an even more astonishing month:
1) Have an apple a day, or a bowl of fresh fruit, in lieu of your usual snacks or before a meal. It’s a great chance to enjoy summer produce while it’s still here while getting a nutrient and energy boost. I’ll be enjoying my share of local peaches until the supply is long time.
2) Get next year’s swimsuits on super sale. I usually shop for swimsuits in the early fall because everything is marked down. Victoria’s Secret also has a habit of selling the same swimsuits year after year, so the ones I get from semi-annual sale don’t feel dated when I bring them out the following summer. When I went to Dillard’s last weekend, all the suits were marked down plus an additional 40% off. I definitely need to go back!
3) Make a spa date with your partner or girlfriends. Couples massages are so romantic, and it’s also fun to plan a relaxing spa day with the girls. I’ve always been a massage fan, but I’m loving facials lately. I think I’ll treat myself to one this month 🙂
4) Streamline something that’s been cluttering your life. I’m always frantically leaving for work in the morning, since I make Livi’s breakfast, my breakfast to-go, and pack up my 1476 work outfits and coffee before heading out the door. Something that has helped a lot is packing everything I possible can the night before. My Zumba, teaching, pool, and weight room uniforms are ready to go along with shower stuff and any lunch foods/snacks.I’ll get dressed and start making breakfast before noodle wakes up. With how much I do to be “kinda prepared,” there are some things I can do to be more efficient with my time, streamlining my to-dos.
5) Listen to something inspirational. Whether you’re spiritual, religious, or just looking for some extra inspiration/motivation, CDs and podcasts are a fabulous option to put a spring in your step. I love Brian Tracy’s CDs and also listen to The Daily Boost podcast. I find that dusting these things off helps me to remain mindful of my goals and take steps to achieve them each day. If you have any audio CDs or podcasts you love for motivation/inspiration, please hit me up in the comments section!
6) On the same note, I’d love to hear what you’re reading! I’m still reading Gone Girl -it’s been slow-moving for me- but am excited to hear some of your ideas for what to download next. Maybe we can have another Fitnessista book club? (This means we all read the same book, drink wine and talk about other things when it’s over)
7) Amp up your breakfast routine. Assess the way you start the day and decide if it’s providing enough energy and nutrients to sustain you through the morning. I do well with high-protein, moderate carb and fat breakfasts. Some of my favorites: egg burritos (I’ve been adding turkey bacon lately and love it), breakfast cookies, chia pudding and breakfast cookie cereal.
8) Plan a little getaway with some friends or someone you love. I think we have a girls’ trip on the horizon and I’m so excited as it can be more interesting to coordinate when you all have kiddos/jobs/families/all the things. We have another extra special trip coming up, too — it’s going to be incredible.
9) Start training for fall fitness goals. Even though I got out there and ran last week, my half marathon training officially begins this Sunday. As usual, I’m just going to run one long run each week -maybe a HIIT session during the week- so I don’t overtrain with my teaching schedule. It’s worked well for me in the past, and hopefully a new PR will be mine 🙂
10) Follow the August workout calendar! It will be up tomorrow and will start on Sunday. The calendar will include the usual mix of HIIT, strength, steady state and flexibility; please let me know if there’s anything else you want to see.
Here’s to a healthy, happy and ASTONISHING month!
Pssst… Did you win the Reebok giveaway? Find out here!