Perfectly portioned for one
– 1/2 eggplant (save the rest or if you’re feeling nice, make the husband/SO/friend one and double the recipe), thinly sliced
-handful of fresh basil
-3/4 cup organic marinara sauce (make your own if you’re feeling Betty Crocker-y or otherwise roll with some delicious organic marinara—look for one with no added chemicals or sugar)
-1 ts Italian seasoning
-4 small vine-ripened tomatoes (Campari are wonderful) or 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
-1/4-1/2 cup cheese of choice (I used grated goat gouda)
-1 clove garlic, finely minced
-sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375* and spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
2. In a bowl, toss the eggplant with extra virgin olive oil, the sea salt and pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic
3. Place the eggplant slices on the cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, flip and bake an additional 10 minutes or so until they’re tender
4. While the eggplant is cooking, slice the tomatoes, grate the cheese, wash the basil and heat up the marinara sauce.
5. On a plate, place an eggplant round and top with marinara, sliced tomato, cheese and a couple leaves of basil.
6. Continue the same process with each layer, finishing with a single slice of eggplant, slice of tomato and basil to garnish.
7. Serve with your favorite salad beast
8. Feast 😀
©2009 The Fitnessista
October 26, 2009 by 45 Comments