Indian food dreams

Sometimes you have to count on someone else to help out with the meals. Like Joe the Trader.

curry and dosa

Something about swimming –or bopping around holding a heavy baby- makes me so hungry. The Pilot was also starving when we got back home, so he did the bedtime routine with Liv while I whipped up a quick dinner.

chicken and zuc

Cooked zucchini, 3 cloves of minced garlic, 2 local chicken breasts, olive oil, sea salt and pepper in a large pot (med-high heat)

added a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas

and in my dreams, used my newly-acquired Indian food expertise to create a beautiful curry sauce.

In reality, I added a jar of this:

simmer sauce

Mmmmm.

While that simmered away, I cooked up some frozen dosas from TJs (vegan and gluten-free)

dosa2

After a bad dosa experience (it was sour. Thinking about it makes me cringe) I was finally ready to give them another try. I wasn’t sure if these were going to be faves, but they were incredible, especially with the coconut chutney. The dosas were full of potatoes, mustard seeds (a new fave) and spices. They’re calorie-dense (200 cals per tiny dosa) but rich and lovely- I’ll definitely buy them again.

dosa

We had our curry chicken and veg atop quinoa (I put it in the rice cooker before we went swimming)– not bad for a 15 minute meal

curry and dosa

This morning was the return of an old fave:

cookie dough cereal

Bfast cookie dough cereal with Brewer’s yeast, strawberries and coconut milk

I’m going to try and choreograph for Zumba. Still on the prowl for a nasty reggaeton, but no luck yet ;)

Hope you all have a wonderful day <3

See ya later!

Something to read:

-Make friends with your perfectionism

-Restaurant portion sizes

-Add an exercise ball to your home gym (and then, bust out this stability ball blitz!)

Something to think:

image Source

Comments

1. I could really go for a nice Indian feast, lately I’ve been too (third trimester pregnancy) tired to get that creative in the kitchen and we have no good Indian spots near by-booo!

2. I’ve always wondered about that Curry Sauce at TJs. Good to know you liked it! Also, I had no idea they sold dosas that are GF! That is so awesome. Looks like I’ll be having Indian food in my near future :)

3. Great quote for the day! I’m not too adventurous with Indian food, but I always trust TJ’s products! :)

4. This 15 minute dinner looks very healthy and tasty, it reminded me that I didn’t have indian food since March, thats a very long time, should fix it asap!

5. Kristen says:

I am the same way about swimming-AKA floating in the pool. It leaves me exhausted and starving!
    Do you like the coconut milk that you bought? Is it very coconutty?

P.S. I really like that quote. I love all of the quotes you put up. Some of them are exactly what I need to read on that particular day! So thank you :)

i’m glad you like them!
      honestly, i don’t like it as much as the almond milk. it was a little too sweet and kind of chalky

6. Love the quote.

Where is the link to the stability ball workout? Am I too blind to see it? :-)

7. That look so good! I’m going to TJ’s later today might gave to pick some up! Btw, I don’t know if you listen to John Mayer at all but his new album just came out and one of the songs is called “Something Like Olivia” and it made me think of you! — very good song, too! Enjoy your day!

8. I used the TJ’s green curry simmer sauce in a stir fry last night. SO easy, SO good!

9. Prrrum is one of my favorite Regs!

10. I am not crazy about the simmer sauce :(

11. What?! what’s wrong with ‘me yesterday’? :-)

12. The way they serve dosas here in India look very little like those dosas :) Here they’re GIGANTIC and very thin, almost crepe like. If there’s one thing I won’t be having when I travel back to the US in a few months for a visit, it’s Indian food!

13. strawberries and coconut milk and cookie dough sounds like a GREAT morning to me!

14. Om nom nom nom! THAT LOOKS AMAZING. My husband & I tried Indian a few times now, and love it. We are in Chandler, so if you have any recommendations for the Phoenix/Tempe/Chandler/Scottsdale area I would love to find a good Indian place around here!

15. Mmmm that indian feast sounds awesome! I love chickpeas in stews…that add such nice texture and chew!

16. So I’m pretty sure I’m obsessed with your blog. So glad I found it. You motivate me every day to eat healthier, be active, and just be a good person. Thank you!

17. What a great quote! Call me naive, but I don’t think I’ve ever had a dosa before!! Need to fix this… ;)

18. I love that curry sauce! It’s the only thing that gets me to enjoy snap peas – simmer the two together for a half hour and serve it with some brown rice and I’m a happy girl!

19. I love when quick dinners come together and are delicious!

20. Mmm! It is a chickpea kind of day. Jenn at Peas and Crayons shared a delish looking chickpea salad. Love a 15-minute meal:)

21. I love trader joe’s simmer sauces! Good to know that the curry sauce is good, our favorite is the thai red curry sauce :)

22. Mmmm love a yummy dinner that comes together quick! P.s. I just choreographed a song for Zumba to Pitbull/J-Lo dance again. People love it! Pitbull or daddy yankee are a great place to start ;)

23. Great photos… your food always looks so good. Now my rice and beans just looks sad. Luckily I have some avocado to make me feel better. :)

24. That dinner looks delish!
    No matter what exercise I do in the pool, I’m always starving when I’m finished.

25. I am such an Indian food lover! I wish it was easier to make at home because I’d love to ‘healthify’ some of the heavier Indian dishes I like so much, but I struggle with getting the seasonings right whenever I’ve made it myself. Sigh!

26. I miss Trader Joe’s so much! When I moved from Atlanta to Florida I was disappointed to not find one in my area :( The Super Spinach salad is my fav. Also I found out you are friends with my cousin Meara! Such a small world.

27. Dosas are supposed to be sour – they’re fermented. They’re actually pretty easy to make and naturally gluten free since the batter is made of raw, soaked, fermented lentils and white rice. Let me know if you want a recipe!

i would love a recipe!!

• I would love a recipe too, could you share with me?
      When I saw the picture of the TJ’s dosa the first thing I thought was that it didn’t look like a dosa at all… they are too thick, dosas are paper thin… and sooooo good!!! :-)
      Ana

28. Okay, I’m not at all familiar with Indian food (I’ve never even tried it before!), but I am super curious what a dosa is.. it looks like an empanada!

29. I miss Trader Joe’s so much!! Those dosa’s look kind of thick in the pics, they’re normally really thin. The dosa’s with potatoes stuffed inside them are my absolute favorite (masala dosa!).

Also, does TJ specifically market their dosa’s as GF? I never thought about them as being anything but GF since the batter is made with rice (my mom uses brown rice, but white rice is more common) and lentils.

nope, i just mentioned it in case a gf reader wanted to try them
      they were stuffed with potatoes! and aaaaaamazing :)

30. Have I mentioned how stoked I am to go to a Trader Joes once I get to California in the summer?

Actually saw someone with a Trader Joes recycled bag at a grocery store in Ottawa the other day and I thought of you :-)

31. That looks delicious! Will def have to try sometime soon – we too love Joe, the Trader, (or Jose, or whatever the ethnic version of “Joe” is that they’re using at the moment!)

32. Jessica says:

Have you heard this song before? Calabria 2007 by Enur feat. Natasja – my zumba instructor has a dance for it and it’s sooo good.

33. Seeing that breakfast cookie dough cereal just makes me smile! :) It is my daily breakfast. So glad you invented it. lol.

34. Nicole M. says:

I eat nutritional yeast like it’s going out of style. Seriously love the stuff and have for a while.. But Brewer’s Yeast scares me for some reason. Maybe because it’s so unknown to me. How would you explain the taste or your favorite uses of it are?

honestly, to me, it tastes like death but it helps with milk production so i eat it. nutritional yeast is 4000x better