I could totally get on board with the weekly date nights that have been happening lately 😉 I think it’s been 3 weekends in a row now? On a roll! Last night we booked a babysitter, and even though we had no official plans, we thought it would be fun to go out and do something after Liv was asleep. We ended up seeing Zero Dark Thirty (which was very intense) and then getting drinks/appetizers at Claim Jumper.
(Malbec for me, Blue Moon for the mister)
I wore my new StitchFix blazer- LOVE it. I can already tell it will be getting a lot of use this spring.
Speaking of spring, and now that Winter Shape Up is officially over, I’m been trying to think of a good spring/summer fitness goal. I’ve still got nothing! I guess for now, I’m just going to continue to empathize strength training -if I have time for a short workout, I’m choosing strength since I get plenty of cardio from teaching and short HIIT sessions- and fitting in outdoor workouts whenever possible. I love being able to take Liv with me in the jogging stroller, so hopefully I’ll be able to train for a couple of races before it gets too hot.
Here’s what’s on the fitness plan for this week:
SUNDAY: Runday! 5 miles-ish with my favorite little buddy in the stroller
TUESDAY: Strength (back and biceps) + HIIT (15 min jump rope)
WEDNESDAY: Teach Zumba and Dance
THURSDAY: Teach Buff Booty and Glide (between the two, I consider it legs day)
SATURDAY: Shoulders, chest, triceps + HIIT (20 minute Stairmaster)
Meal and prep ideas:
-Thai chopped veggie salad (will post the recipe!)
–Chicken crust pizza (I’m going to make a few crusts and freeze them, so when I want one, it will be easy to heat and eat)
–Crustless quiche with roasted veggies
What’s on your fitness plan for the week? Are you trying any new classes or recipes? Feel free to link away in the comments!
Have a happy Sunday <3
Congratulations to the Champion winners! Thank you so much to everyone who entered and for all of the fantastic feedback. I’ll be using your suggestions to make Summer Shape Up even better 🙂
1) Jaimie: I loosely followed the WSU and loved it! The only suggestion I would have would be to include video clips (instead of just pictures) for some of the less familiar workout moves.
2) Lindsay: I thought that it was overall great and I really can’t think of anything that I would change.
3) Sara: Hi Gina! I’m one of the “silent” participants in the WSU because I am a couple weeks behind! But I followed the Week 1 workout calendar last week, and Week 2 this week, and I have been loving. it. so. much. I’ll be honest, it’s a challenge for me! I’m a runner, and doing a lot of weights / intervals is just not my forte, but it has been amazing to see how much stronger I have gotten in just two weeks. I love your positive, encouraging, balanced approach to fitness on the blog.
4) Crystal: I didn’t follow the shape up workouts. I am just getting back to working out after having my son and I assumed they would be too challenging. Though I have been working out by attending a Stroller Fitness Class and doing the Couch to 5k workout plan. I have been following the shape up as far as meal planning/prep and eating like a PRO. That slogan alone has been really helpful.
5) Ashley W.: I didn’t participate in this winter shape up sadly because I am in training for my first half-marathon so I have been running like crazy and haven’t really been doing as much cross training but I have been looking at all the workouts and they seemed badass.
6) Ashleigh: I love WSU and SSU. The workouts are wonderful! My only feedback would be to sometime list the workouts separately in a jpeg, so I can drag the workouts onto my desktop and print them to bring to the gym.
7) Laurel C.: Honestly, I think the WSU program was perfect for me as a supplement to my usual running routine!
8) megs: I really enjoyed the WSU– first one that i really followed along with. I appreciate the variety in the workouts with out having to think too much about it! Only suggestion for improvement- sometimes the check in links were hard to follow, I feel like it would have been easier to just check in on the daily post.
9) Tori L.: I loooooved your winter shape up! You definitely keep workouts interesting, challenging, and fun. The only thing I didn’t really like was I felt confused at times on which blog posts I needed to comment on to check back in on and be entered for prizes.
10) Krystal: Love this blog! It motivates me just to read it. You seem similar to my personal trainer, so I always share with my bootcamp group your blog on our forums. I like the picture cues (like the one above) best for when doing your work outs in the gym. I don’t always comment, but I follow you on facebook, instagram, and your blog, of course. Thanks Gina for inspiring me, introducing me to Stitch Fix and, for always giving me something to read.
11) Mari: I actually started WSU, but then I had to stop because I got the flu! So I haven’t worked out at all in a couple weeks. But I’ve been following along to keep up my motivation. Your workouts look AWESOME and I can’t wait until I can get in a great sweaty workout! I’m just going to start from the beginning tgis weekend. I appreciate all you do and your hard work creating these workouts and great community. Thanks, Gina!
12) Megan A.: I’ve been following your blog for awhile now, but this is the first shape up I’ve participated in. I loved it! I had become bored with my workouts and this helped me change them up. I found them a bit difficult to locate and make my way back to, but it could just be that I initially read them in google reader and then access them on the site.
13) Katie: I honestly loved everything about the workouts! It was surprising to me that the first week of workouts didn’t take too long and and after completing day 1 I didn’t think I would be sore at all – boy was I wrong! I also loved the “strong superman” move in workout #2. The only thing that I didn’t “like” was that the picture of the 3rd workout couldn’t be expanded. I can’t wait for the summer shape up!
14) Lisa M.: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having the pictures demonstrating the moves!!! Now if I can only do that plank one…
15) Bethany Henderson: Loved the workouts and videos! They were killer and I lost about 4 pounds! Loved how different they were because I get bored easily….now i do jump rope HIIT all the time. Love doing it while I’m watching tv!
16) Jay: The workouts are awesome. I don’t know what to call it but I really liked the workouts numbered with your picture doing the move with the number of reps. It really helped me conceptualize what I was to do. When a move is new/weird/tricky a video was very helpful. I like the “notecard” of the week’s off and on days too. Honestly, I have no complaints. I’m grateful for all of your help and support. I’m so glad I found your blog. I plan on checking in daily still, I find it keeps me motivated! Please keep up the great work, I appreciate it! J
17) Nelly: I teach almost everyday (bootcamp, flow, toning, cycle, abs &ups) but I always checked your website for ideas and moves! I would LOVE this bra because i am always working out and since having my baby my boobs NEED extra support!
18) Lisa: I think you did such an awesome job with WSU…it was easy to follow and so much fun!!!
19) Danielle: Following you on Pinterest!
20) Rachel: I loved all of the workouts, and the collages made them really easy to follow or print off and bring to the gym with me! I also loved all of your meal plans and fuel ideas! (baked bfast cookies are genius!!)
21) Lauren: Although this last week has been a rough one for me, I have truly enjoyed this winter shapeup. I turned my coworker onto your blog and we have pushed each other at the gym every step of the way. Thanks for not only giving me a rockin bod, but thanks for the bonding opportunities. I really liked the format you gave us for each exercise. It was easy to print off and take with me so I wasn’t struggling with notecards. As long as each week has form cues I think that’s an excellent format! Thanks again Gina!
22) Leah O: I loved the format for this WSU. It was a great mix of video and pictures. I’m sure its super time consuming making a video with all of the moves each week so I thought it was a good idea adding in the warm up for week 1, it was fun to be able to do it “with” you. Maybe next time there could be 1 more warm up video that you can go with everyone? It would be neat if next time it were possible to film the workout video and schedule it so that everyone tries to do it at the same time or maybe try some live streaming or something? I don’t know how any of that works so it might be impossible lol. One thing I really liked about last years Summer shape up was the way you presented the meal plan in a schedule type format. I’m an all or nothing type girl so everything has to either be written out for me step by step or I just do my own thing. I loved everything about wsu though and ultimately wouldn’t change a thing! Its kind of fun that they are a little different each time
23) Emily: I love how your workouts don’t include fancy, expensive equipment. I’m a SAHM of two and I appreciate that.
24) Tricia: I think you do an awesome job with WSU…it is easy to follow, yet challenging and easy to apply to every level. Thanks for the time you put in!
25) Erin: I just have to say major props to you for putting so much work and effort into this and doing it for free. I think what makes winter shape up so successful is that anyone can do it, you don’t have to pay money or subscribe. I love that.
Send me an email (fitnessista at gmail dot com) and we’ll get your prizes on the way! <3
I loosely followed the WSU and loved it! The only suggestion I would have would be to include video clips (instead of just pictures) for some of the less familiar workout moves.