Chicken, quinoa and sweet potato soup

+ What I ate Wednesday 🙂

Hi friends! Happy almost-weekend! Anything fun on the horizon? We have a few events that I’m looking forward to, and Sunday, I get my Mother’s Day gift since we were in Vegas last weekend: to sleep until I choose to wake up. I can’t wait for my body to ache from being in the horizontal position far longer than it’s used to, haha.

Today, I thought I’d share a little What I Ate Wednesday post, on Thursday (since I’m always unfashionably late to these kinds of things). I always love reading these posts because they’re a great way to get new ideas, and because I’m kind of nosy like that.

Here are yesterday’s eats:

First thing: I like to drink hot water with apple cider vinegar (about a tablespoon), cayenne pepper, the juice of one lemon, and a drizzle of maple syrup. ACV has a ton of health benefits, particularly when it comes to regulating the ph balance of the body and aiding digestion. I also just think it tastes delicious. This is how I like to wake up, but I keep the mug far away from Liv because she’ll start asking me to, “STOP that smell!”

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with salsa and brown rice tortillas. This is the standard b-fast, unless I’m feeling like something sweet. Then it’s these pancakes, breakfast cookie dough cereal or chia pudding.

Breakfast  1 of 1 6

Sweet bite: I made these cookies as part of recipe testing, and froze the batch. I ate one, and then had another half. I think we have a winner.

Sweet bite

Snack: container of berries and a sparkling water. I used to like sparkling water, but now I LOVE it because it makes baby dance around. It makes me so happy.

I stopped at People’s to grab some necessities,

and grabbed some lunch stuff since I was there and everything. 😉 They have the BEST kale salads, great soups and an order-to-go sandwich bar. Everything is organic with an emphasis on local products. It’s definitely become one of my favorite places to shop.

I got the magic kale salad (which has dulse and cucumber) + some spicy tempeh in peanut sauce.

Lunch: said kale salad and tempeh with two pieces of brown rice bread with avocado, lime juice, sea salt and sriracha. I want this for lunch every day right now.

Spicy lunch

Pre-BODYPUMP snack: a few pieces of deli meat (pan-seared) with goat gouda and mustard

Deli meat  1 of 1

a small apple, and a yogurt.

Snack  1 of 1 4

Dinner  was waiting for us when we got home from the gym: a hearty and delicious quinoa, sweet potato and chicken soup.

4 chopped sweet potatoes,

Sweet potatoes  1 of 1 2

with one pack of chicken thighs (seasoned with salt and pepper, browned on each side for a few minutes), 1 cup rinsed quinoa, two bay leaves, 1/2 chopped sweet onion, 3 minced cloves of garlic, 32 oz chicken broth, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, and 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley. I stirred everything together and set on high for 4 hours.

Slow cooker  1 of 1 3

When we got home, I added the juice of one lemon and more salt and pepper to taste.

A quick and healthy soup, packed with protein and smart carbs:Chicken sweet potato and quinoa  1 of 1

(I topped the bowl with spinach before eating to get in some more greens)

Not pictured: the chocolate chips and tea I had while watching Fifty Shades of NO with the Pilot. (Aka an hour and a half of my life I’ll never get back.)

What was the best thing you ate yesterday? Any new slow cooker recipes you’re loving?

You might also like:

1. “Fifty Shades of No!” Was it that bad? I won’t waste my time watching it.

2. I really need to utilize my slow cooker more! I just keep forgetting about it. Of course I probably won’t now that it is going to be warm haha.

I also drink water and ACV in the mornings with my eggs. Now it’s like the two are paired together in my mind so whenever I have eggs I always want the drink as well!

3. I really need to get back in the habit of lemon water in the morning. I really liked starting my day that way and it helped with digestion.

4. Aw I liked the movie! Okay I’ll admit it was a terrible movie but I’m so hooked on their story of finding out if two really messed up people can love each other and find some semblance of normalcy in their lives! haha

5. The best thing I ate yesterday? A teff tortilla (my first time!) with cod, mango/avocado salsa and cabbage! So yum that it’s on the menu plan for next week, too!

6. Mmm that slow cooker recipe sounds good. I’m loving Skinnytaste’s Sesame Honey Chicken slow cooker recipe. It’s everyyyything. Lick the crock pot kind of everything.

7. I drink the same thing almost ever morning, I used to feel great when I was consistent but some days I just forget, and sometimes I am just lazy, but you just reminded me with this post.

8. “Fifty Shades of NO with the Pilot. (Aka an hour and a half of my life I’ll never get back.)” <— Right there with you. At least you didn't see it in the theater like I did :-/

9. Adrienne says:

Can you see yourself snacking less with the Invisalign retainers in?

Having to take them out and brush your teeth 6 times a day after you eat must be such as hassle!

(I currently wear a clear retainer after braces to keep my overbite in check and I just simply stopped snacking between meals..the food wasn’t worth the hassle with all the constant brushing!

10. Lol… Fifty shades of NO. I haven’t seen the movie yet but didn’t care about the book and possibly less about the movie. Especially after hearing so many people say it’s a waste of time.
    I’m quite curious about the apple cider vinegar. I always have it as I use it a lot in salads but have never drank it… Maybe I should give it a go!

11. Jessica says:

I couldn’t even get through the “Sample” on my iPad of Fifty Shades of Grey. I have read a couple other semi similar series and liked them, but this particular one was painful to read and less than 20 pages in, I was OUT.

I considered renting the movie just to see what it was all about, but I guess this is my hint that I should not do that. 🙂

12. LOL fifty shades of no….I have to admit I was never interested in reading that book. I bought it but never read it. Still have no interest to read or watch the movie. Now Magic Mike XXL ohhh yes I will be going to see that. LOL

I had a zucchini breakfast loaf today. SOOOO good. very healthy and filling.

I am obsessed with cooking my chicken in the crockpot. I put 3 or 4 huge chicken breasts with a little water and some seasonings on high for 5 hours. It comes out like a clean version of rotisserie chicken. when its done I shred it with a fork then have it in a Tupperware container all week to grab for meals.

13. You know your morning drink is the Master Cleanse drink ingredients, right? I lasted two days on the cleanse. I never want it again. lol. I do swig ACV sometimes, though!

I’m trying to get on the repetitive eating kick. I think too much variety screws me up. ; )

haha you’re right! i would never do it as a cleanse though. it definitely wouldn’t taste good to me anymore 🙂

14. Kelsey Halena says:

I think the best thing I had yesterday (and is the best thing I have any day I have it) was breakfast – a piece of toast, topped with 1/2 an avocado smeared on and 2 over easy eggs. I honestly never get sick of this combo, and would probably have it for every meal if I could (maaaaybe alternating with sweet potatoes w. 2 over easy eggs on top. I’m hard to please like that.)

• OMG, I’m with you on the toast, avo, and eggs! So easy and yummy. When I have all 3, I eat it 3-5 times/week! Doesn’t hurt that I live alone and am thus cooking for one… I sprinkle some cracked black pepper on top of the eggs too. If I had bread, I would’ve had this for dinner tonight. Need to get to TJs or WF for more bread tomorrow.

the classic never dies 🙂

15. A Gina “WIAW” post! Yay! Love this! I’ve never tried brown rice bread. How would you compare it to Ezekiel bread? I couldn’t stomach that hahaha! But your other eats all look quite tasty. The best thing I ate yesterday was a baked sweet potato, with runny eggs and roasted cabbage all mixed up as one. Strange but good! By the way, I’m heading to the Les Mills Super Quarterly on Saturday and can’t wait to try the new releases in person! Oh — and here’s my OTF review if you care to see it:

i like the brown rice bread more (but gf agrees better with me). it tastes just like an oat or whole grain bread
      loved the your post on OTF too! have so much fun this weekend 🙂

16. Jacquelyn says:

What an exciting treat to see a WIAW post from you!!!!! You should throw it into your weekly rotation!!!! Xoxoxox

17. My favorite thing that I ate yesterday was an adapted version of Kath’s new tofu pasta salad and TJ’s honey mints. However, I’m now craving cookies. I hope you post the recipe soon 🙂

that pasta salad looks amazing!! the recipe isn’t until later, but if you want it now, shoot me an email and i’ll send it to you!

18. I have been starting my day with the warm water +ACV combo for a few months now and I really like it too! That sweet potato and quinoa dish sounds so yummy! Happy WIAT 😉

19. Yaara Leve says:

Yeah–I was looking forward to renting it from Amazon–because everyone and their mother was raving about it on Valentine’s Day when it hit the theaters. BUt–I watched the trailer again–and NO. Couldn’t do it. The acting just looks really bad and the story–blah.
    PS–your eats look fab!
    Also–I don’t know if you caught it–I mentioned in your latest stick fix post from last week–you had these adorable peep-toe booties. I love them! What brand are they?

20. Eggs + salsa is one of the best combinations I eat! I am so glad my parents got me onto that one because it is staple for me as well.
    The best thing I ate yesterday definitely was a good good good breakfast burrito! It was huge and certainly hit the spot.

21. Heather says:

What brand of brown rice you recommend?

22. I just started using my slow cooker to make beans for the first time. It works well!

23. Erika S. says:

I just made the best “throw all this together lunch situation”! Deli smoked turkey heated in the pan served on a reduced guilt wheat tortilla. Topped with mushrooms and shredded cabbage that are slightly sautéed & seasoned w/salt, pepper & garlic powder….soooo good!

BTW…the salsa on those eggs looks delish!!

24. Hi Gina! What brand of brown rice tortillas do you eat? I have tried TJ’s before but find they aren’t soft or anything and yours look great! Any secret :)?

they’re trader joes! i store them in the freezer. when i want one, i take it out of the freezer, and pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds. they turn out perfectly soft

25. I made this soup and it was so good!! I added some baked goat gouda shreds on top for ~presentation~ and some kale, along with only doing one sweet potato (but it was huge). It was very filing and perfect for dinner.

26. Sasha M says:

I’m intrigued by your ACV drink. The only ACV I’ve seen in stores here is Heinz ACV and I’m guessing that’s not much good?
    Would you care to share the ingredients/recipe for your morning drink?
    I would love to try it!

27. i work at Redwood Hill! So excited to hear that you eat our yogurt!

28. best thing i ate yesterday? homemade food 🙂 roasted veggies & dal were delish! I love being home.

29. Veronika says:

Thanks for this delicious recipe! I tried it last night, except that I used freekeh instead of quinoa and it turned out so yummy!

30. So did ya just yank the chicken bones then once it was done? Putting it on the list for this week!