One-pan chicken with tomatoes, basil and feta

Hi friends! Happy almost-Friday! Don’t forget that tomorrow is the last chance to get your lotus tank. All the info is HERE. 🙂

Yesterday definitely felt more like summer than fall, and more like a weekend than a Wednesday because the Pilot was home. He had a lot of “use or lose” leave, so he took a random day off where he wasn’t teaching.

Beach coffee date

Noodle was at school, so I booked him a surprise massage, I got my toes done (which I officially can no longer reach haha), and we met up at Cafe Bella for coffee. Cafe Bella is a cute coffee stand in OB, which has breakfast pastries, bagels, an awesome coffee menu (with every milk under the sun), and acai bowls.

Cafe bella

Hottie in ob

He got an espresso, and I ordered a decaf Mexican mocha with almond milk, which tasted like a cookie in a cup.

Cookie in a cup

(Insert heart eyes emoji here)

We took our coffees down to the beach and enjoyed some time people-watching and catching Vitamin D.

After we picked up noodle, we headed to Olive Tree for lunch and then back home to hang out before taking Liv to her favorite place to get her Halloween costume.

Livi at disney store

(The Disney Store. Every time we walk in, she says, “It’s so magical here!”)

Workout-wise, I got in a 21dayfix workout, and topped it off with some BODYPUMP practice. While it’s not my fave ever, I’m enjoying the newest release (launching at most gyms in October); the chest and shoulder tracks are particularly killer.

Dinner was one of those impromptu gems that turned out quite well: skillet chicken with a tomato sauce, fresh basil and cheese. I made some mac n’ cheese to go with it (because I thought Liv would eat that no matter what, but she ended up crushing the chicken and not touching the pasta. You never know.), and sauteed zucchini.

Skillet chicken

Here’s the on-the-fly recipe if you’d like to try it out:

-I started off by seasoning a pack (about a lb) of chicken thighs with salt and pepper before browning them in olive oil (on medium-high) for about 4 minutes per side

-I removed the chicken from the pan (just place them on a plate), reduced the heat to medium, and added to the pan: 1/2 chopped onion, a splash of balsamic (to break up the bits on the bottom of the pan), and two minced garlic cloves. After stirring a bit, and they were fragrant, I reduced the heat to low and added a can of crushed tomatoes (small can; 15 oz) and seasoned well with salt and pepper.

-Next, the chicken went back in the pan, and I covered it to let the steam finish cooking the chicken for about 10 minutes. (Just check by cutting through with a knife.)

-After the chicken was cooked, each piece was covered in feta or parmesan, and topped with chopped fresh basil. Before stirring, just spoon a bit of the tomato sauce on top and serve with your favorite pasta!

Hope you have a wonderful morning <3

Workout of the day: this kettlebell circuit! Get in a total body workout with cardio blasts using this awesome tool.

You might also like:

1. Could you maybe do a post on where you go shopping for Liv/kid shop? I love all her outfits and have a little girl that will one day hit her age!!

sure! i get a majority of her clothes at baby gap and target (probably 90%). hm also has an awesome kids selection!

2. It seems you’ve got your cooking hat back on! It’s always nice to have a bum around town kind of day. I think we get so caught up in the hurry of life we forget to do live it. I like that you guys take the time for yourselves.

yes, just a little! it hasn’t been quite so hot, so that’s helped a lot 😉
      i’ve learned it’s way better to take a little time here and there instead of waiting to burn out
      hope you have a great weekend <3

3. Had to laugh about Liv crushing the chicken and ignoring the mac & cheese. Whenever I make a dinner completely geared toward my 20-month-old thinking she’ll love it…she turns up her nose. Then she goes nuts for salmon and asparagus much to my surprise. Oh toddlers…so fickle!!

right?! it’s the weirdest thing. and sometimes she’ll love something one day and hate it the next. always keeping us on our toes 😉

4. Liv looks like a mini adult in that picture! So precious!

5. The Disney store looks magical! What a beautiful place you live in. Sounds like you’re doing a great job enjoying it. Happy almost Friday!

thank you! we’re trying to live it up because who knows when we’ll be moving… crazy! hope you have a great weekend <3

6. Live hair in the pic!!!!!! Gorgeous like her mommas hair! Oh received the keratese nectar therminique, u were spot on! Smells divine, I think I wanna wear as perfume, lol! And to know it’s protecting my hair from the heat when I blow dry, love:)

7. I love your pink to go cup!

8. You had me at “one pan” haha. That meal sounds so good.

Sometimes a Wednesday off is awesome because it feels like you get 2 Fridays that week 😀

9. Sounds good! I make a similar dish with sun dried tomatoes, zucchini, half and half and shredded mozzarella cheese. Love these one dish meals!

10. Mexican mocha!? wowowowowow I want it!! *currently googling recipes*

ahhh! let me know if you find a great recipe. the “abuelita” brand of hot chocolate is awesome for mexican mochas

11. omg, Mexican mocha? I’ve never heard of this but I feel like I need it in my life. Also that chicken looks delish. I’ve never thought about adding Feta to a tomato based dish like that – gotta try it!

12. I remember The Disney Store being magical as a little kid too! It’s funny how something that can just look like a store to an adult can be the coolest thing ever to a little kid.

13. I love the nail color you are wearing in the top pic with the Pilot!! Please share the color and brand.

Love Livs little outfit in the Disney store. She looks like a teenager.

thank you! it’s sally hansen complete manicure commander in chic
      she does! it’s funny how she’s so big and so little at the same time

14. Oh my gosh is that a romper Liv is wearing?! So. stinkin’. cute!

15. Thanks for the recipe. That looks quick and tasty for sure!

16. Hey!

I’ve been an avid reader for about a year and made the move from Philadelphia to Orange County, CA but absolutely adore San Diego! I try to come down there pretty frequently and would love to get coffee or something. Let me know if you would be interested!

17. Diane Quinlan says:

This recipe sounds wonderful! I don’t eat chicken legs, but wondered if boneless chicken breasts would work? I will try it and let you know! Thanks for the recipe…..always looking for something different…..especially after being married 35 years…..we seem to eat the same things!

18. Sounds like a fantastic day, that post was so cute and uplifting! Makes me want to start lifting hehe x