The best workout tights

Hi friends! How’s the morning going? Latest on the Family page is up here

Here is your latest squat challenge if you’re following along the Squatember calendar: 15 squats, 15 jump squats, 15 plie squat jumps, 30-second wall sit, 45 seconds of sumo burpees. Let me know how it goes!

So, all of my years in retail did come in handy.

Best workout tights

(Still folding like a boss haha.)

Finding the right pair of workout pants can be tricky business. For starters, they can be expensive. While the right pair of workout tights can last a couple of years (or longer! I have some pairs that are at least 4 years old), you don’t want to invest in a pair that is going to fall apart, show your undies (or lack of underwear…) in down dog, or feel itchy/tight during your favorite workout class.

And… let’s be real. The right pair of workout tights is kind of like an amazing bra. Everything just looks and feels better. 😉

Since I live and teach in them, I’ve tried quite a few different brands and style over the years.

Here’s the roundup of my all-time faves:

Lj salsa capris

If you want style + comfort:

Lorna Jane 3/4 or 7/8 tights. They feel light, breathe well, often have style details or prints, and the best part: they aren’t see-through.

Wunder under

If you want durability:

lululemon Wunder Under crop. I multiple pairs of these, but many of them were purchased before the infamous time of transparent lulu fabric. From what I hear, the quality is back up, and I love the prints and colors for the fall season.

If you want awesome quality for the price:

Fabletics Salar Leggings or crops. These have a flattering fit (nice wider waistband, thick fabric), aren’t see-through, have stood the test of time, and are at a lower price point. (Fabletics has incredible deals on super cute workout clothes.) Because the fabric is thicker, I prefer them for barre workouts when I don’t sweat a ton.

Zella leggings

If you want a pair you can wear for workouts and life:

Zella Live-In leggings. You can seriously live in these, and easily add a flannel, sweater and pair of boots to transition from workout to real life mode. They’re thick, comfortable, and have a long inseam (for my tall friends out there).

For two fitness

If you’re expecting:

For Two Fitness studio capri. I have one pair of these, and I’ve worn them so many times during this pregnancy. The waistband is so comfortable, they’re just the right amount of thickness to be flattering, and they have a great stretch. I highly, highly recommend these ones.

Preg camel

So tell me, friends: what’s your #1 favorite pair of workout tights? What’s the OLDEST piece of workout attire you have in your closet? I have an orange Moving Comfort bra that I’ve had for 4-5 years that I can’t seem to get rid of. (It’s my lucky “race day” bra haha.)

Have a great morning and I’ll see ya today with a new quick snack recipe.

My favorite workout bras are here 🙂

You might also like:

1. That’s a tough call! If had to choose just one, it would be Lulu run inspire crops. PS I really do love Fabletics too.

2. Great picks! I have 2 pairs of lulu lemons that are about 6 years old. They rock 🙂

3. Target’s C9 stuff for me…I’ve worn them on mud runs, through snowstorms, and they never seem to wear out. I finally had to throw out a pair of Target windpants because the zipper on the ankle portion fell off, but the pants themselves were still functional.

My all-time favorite shirt (and what I consider my “lucky” racing shirt) is a simple C9 wicking shirt that I bought on sale. I’ve had it for 8 years and it still looks great.

4. I love Wunder Unders! They just feel so great!

5. Such a great roundup! I have a couple pairs of the lulus, a pair of Zella leggings, and a fabletics pair and they are all my favs.

6. Catherine Cormier says:

I’m a big fan of Under Urmour leggings 🙂

i don’t think i’ve tried their leggings! only their tanks and tops

• Catherine Cormier says:

I highly recommend them. If there is a UA outlet in your area try there first. They always have a huge selection in solids and prints. And, they offer a military discount that you can get if your hubby goes with you … you just need to show his ID and they’ll put him in the system.

I like that they stay put when jumping around … nothing worst than feeling like you’re losing your pants.

7. I’ve bought some great leggings and capris from Victoria’s Secret and Old Navy lately. ON has really stepped up their active wear game! The leggings I’ve bought from them are thick and compress and the price can’t be beat. I’ve bought some really fun and loud printed leggings from VS and am impressed with their quality as well. I’ve also had good luck with a line from Macy’s called Ideology.

i agree. old navy has some awesome fitness gear for the price. i also have bought workout attire from VS and loved it!

8. I also love my fabletics leggings! Definitely the best for the price you pay. The longest pair of leggings I’ve had are my lululemon wunder unders. I think they’re going on 4 or 5 years and I’m just starting to see some wear in them. I second the love for For Two Fitness leggings while preggo. I love that I can wear them easily after the baby is born as well.

9. Hey — just want to tell everyone to be careful with the Fabletics website — read the fine print before you accept their deal…’s actually a membership that is automatically billed each month. I canceled my order — to big of a headache.

10. Anon Canuck says:

Best Lulu pants yet! I recently bought a pair of lululemon’s new pants (they have been releasing pants in brand-new fabrics). Let me say that the “Align Pant” is unlike any other pants I’ve tried on before. They are buttery-soft, compressive, NOT see-through and feel like you’re wearing nothing! I am so impressed with the fabric and fit, I might just buy another pair. Not to sound like a rep for the company (that which I am not), the online reviews on their website for this pant are the same!

11. I really like my Lucy pocket capris! I have those in two colors and they’re great for running, yoga, strength training – pretty much everything.

12. I finally bought a pair of Zella leggings recently and it was like the best day ever. Loooove them.

I also love a pair of Victoria’s Secret yoga pants I’ve had since senior year of college, which was..a while ago.

they are SO comfy!
      i also had two pairs of the VS yoga pants for years and finally had to get rid of them. they were amazing, though!

13. I see a lot of yoga teachers wearing tights that are long enough to pull under their heels and they look super cute. Have you seen that? Any recommendations? Thanks!

it’s what happens when you’re short and you buy full-length tights haha. the wunder unders from lulu are super long!

14. I’ve had good luck with lulu/zella/fabletics also. My favorites work out wear is from Athleta – it seems to last forever. Not every Athleta style works for me (a couple are more sheer) but the running capris are pretty good and work for any fitness class or activity. The dresses are great too, and I am not easy on clothing! Happy Tuesday!

15. I agree with you on wunder unders. They stand the test of time! I also like Lulu’s “In the Flow” crop and Athleta’s chaturanga style capris and tights!

16. Old Navy has my favorite workout pants, plus the rest of their workout clothes are awesome!

17. I have a couple of pair of Nike dri fit capris that I love. My oldest piece of workout gear would have to be a sports bra as well. After three kids I find it hard to find a good bra that will hold the girls up. I don’t even know what brand it is.

18. 4-5 years is the age of my newer pieces! And they’re from Marshalls! Heh. I just don’t much care about my workout wardrobe. Or my wardrobe. Not that there’s anything wrong with that! Especially if it’s your ‘work clothes’.

19. Athleta for the win! For me, they are more comfortable and durable than lulu or Zella. They are great for orange theory too because I feel like they keep everything from moving too much 🙂 Check them out, they sometimes have great sales!

20. I’m a fan of athleta and it definitely doesn’t hurt that fitness instructors get 30% off! Win!

21. I LOVE the Salar Leggings from Fabletics. I have long legs and their long option is great. Love the thickness and style, super flattering.

22. I love Athleta Relay capris. They’re a slightly thicker but breathable fabric with panels behind the knees for air, thicker waistband, back pocket that holds an iPhone if you really try… I own them in 3 colors haha. As for lucky piece of clothing… I can’t seem to get rid of the hot pink sports bra I ran my first cross-country race in senior year of high school! Thanks Target!

23. I love my Kyodan leggings I find at TJ Maxx. I do want to splurge on a pair of Athleta leggings.

24. I was shocked with Old Navy’s crops. They are thicker and well-made, which is totally opposite of everything else in the store.

25. Beyond Yoga leggings are by far my favorite. Pricey, but worth it, mine have lasted me 5+ years!

26. Out of all of these I’ve only tried Fabletics and I just love the fit and the comfort of the Salar Leggings, I have several pairs and they are more affordable.

27. I have always loved Lulu crops/leggings, however I just went to the site and read so many horrible reviews about the quality of them now! Lulu does not seem to be what it used to be which really sucks considering they are just as expensive as before! So thank you for providing the other options to take a look at!!!

28. You’re my hero for this! (Although part of my, mainly my bank balance, is like NOOOO – no more workout clothes!!!) hahaha. Thanks for sharing – definitely going to be doing some shopping this week!!

29. Athleta, for the win! The BEST instructor discount (30%) and honestly such amazing quality. The discount goes a long way when the capris are 45-50 bucks as opposed to 75-90 at Lulu. Plus they always have great sales and deals which I rarely find at lulu. Also, I find great stuff at TJ Max and Marshals. They have a few fitness brands only found there that are super inexpensive ($19) for tights and I get the most compliments on the workout attire I there. It’s always the stuff we pay nothing for, isn’t it? 🙂

30. Nike Pros are my staple! Perfect for everything and can be paired with almost everything. H and M also do some very reasonably priced running leggings.

31. I cannot believe beyond yoga since dye leggings didn’t make the cut! I live in them!!! I also really like the alo goddess legging 🙂