Sustainable seafood with Blue Apron

This post is sponsored by my friends at Blue Apron.

The Pilot and I have a little talk when we prepare Blue Apron meals.

“Maybe this will be the one…”

Zaatar chicken

We keep waiting to see if we’ll have a Blue Apron meal we DON’T like, and in a year + of consistently making them, it has yet to happen. We’re constantly impressed that a delivered meal tastes like something from an expensive restaurant.

Zaatar chicken 2

Some of my favorite things about Blue Apron:

-They send all of the ingredients you need to create three chef-designed meals at home. They only send exactly what you need, which is especially awesome to me because I love to try new and obscure ingredients but hate wasting food

-You have the option of choosing the family plan or meals for two. We’ve found that since the servings are so generous, a serving for two is there prefect amount for Tom, Liv and myself

-They add new dishes each week! Everything we’ve tried has been completely different

-The stress of meal planning disappears. On Blue Apron weeks, it feels SO easy to grocery shop since a majority of our meal planning is already completed

Cooking blue apron

-It gives us the opportunity to try out new ingredients and flavor profiles

Pink lemon

(a pink lemon!)

-and spend time in the kitchen as a family.

Livi cooking

Blue Apron has helped cultivate Liv’s enjoyment for cooking, and she’s always excited to help us prepare the Blue Apron meals.

Livi cooking 2

Sometimes Tom and I will make them after the kiddos are in bed, and it’s like a fun date night at home. 🙂

Pink lemon 3

-Something that always blows me away about Blue Apron: the care they put into choosing quality ingredients. They source their fresh produce, pastas, and dairy from local artisans, and are committed to providing wild and sustainable seafood. You can read more about their efforts here! Blue Apron uses fishing methods that are minimally invasive to natural habitats and do not source species that are overfished.

Blue apron salmon

Their seafood is raised within natural ecosystems or sustainable farms, without the use of antibiotics or growth hormones. They partnered closely with Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch to develop their high standards for quality, responsibly-sourced seafood.

Right away, I was impressed by the vibrant color of the Sockeye Salmon.

Blue apron salmon 2

It cooked up beautifully, and was especially delicious with the pickled mustard seeds green potato salad that Livi helped prepare.

Salmon with green potato salad

I was totally saying, “Hey girl, I’ll eat salmon with you” when I took these pics of the Pilot. 😉

Pilot and salmon

#salmonmodel haha

If you’d like to try out Blue Apron for yourself, click here! The first 50 readers will get 2 free meals in their first Blue Apron order.

They also have a ton of recipes on their website. Here are some of the ones I have my eye on:

Crispy cod tacos

Soy-glazed chicken

Braised tandoori cauliflower

What is your favorite type of fish to cook at home? We always cook salmon, but I am trying to branch out more since we also love shrimp, halibut and lobster.

Have a wonderful morning!

xo

This post is sponsored through my partnership with Blue Apron. Thank you for supporting this blog and the sponsors who help to support our family.

Comments

1. My husband and I also have the “Maybe this will be the one…” conversation. So far, haven’t found the one yet!

2. Catherine says:

Where did you get the gray dress you are wearing in the top photo? Love it!

3. I love seafood! My favorite to cook is salmon, but sometimes we do shrimp or tuna fish on the grill!

4. #salmonmodel haha! I’m almost cried when I read that.

5. We have been really impressed with the seafood from Blue Apron. Their salmon is always so delicious!

same! sometimes i have to freeze it because i can’t cook it right away, and it’s still so good! way better than the wild salmon i get at TJs

6. I might have to finally just try blue apron, we’ve been stuck in a food rut for a while, aka we’re eating a lot of takeout and restaurant meals lol. My favorite fish is wild salmon, but I also love shellfish (shrimp allll the time).

i hope you love it if you give it a try! it definitely helps me with the food ruts, and i find that with blue apron, we spend less than we would on dinner for groceries or going out to eat

7. Ooh could I make a request for a fish recipe in the near future? I have been in a salmon rut lately and would LOVE new ideas!

It’s the wrong time of year, but Dungeness crab is one of my all time faves!

8. can you write a post about what goes into writing a “sponsored” post? Like how do they contact you about what to write about or do you pick the topic? Do they give you a blurb about what to type or do you research it and write your own opinions? thanks!

i’m not sure if it’s enough for a full post, since it’s pretty straightforward. usually a company will reach out to me and let me know what they have in mind for a post or partnership. if i agree to it, it’s something that i’m already familiar with or use on a regular basis, so it’s easy for me to write about. sometimes they’ll give me some talking points to include in my own voice, but always always, we have the freedom to talk about whatever.

9. i just signed up using your link! i’m excited to try it out. i’ve been in BIG cooking rut. i’m 15 weeks pregnant and feel like i haven’t cooked dinner in 2 months since i haven’t felt well. i’m excited to start cooking again 🙂

wahoo! i hope you love it 🙂 it was a lifesaver while i was pregnant and didn’t have the mojo to meal plan or cook.

10. That’s so awesome how committed they are to sustainable seafood! Overall I try to be pretty laid-back and unworried about ingredients, but fish sourcing is something that I am very particular about. Most farmed fish are not farmed in a way that is healthy for humans or our environment. So glad to see companies taking the lead in changing our food culture!

i totally agree. i try to make responsible choices when i can with food purchases, and for meat, eggs/ dairy and seafood, it’s extremely important to me to know where it came from.
      hope you have a great weekend <3

11. Will you still be posting a WIAW this week? Or will it be next week when you’re back from vacation?

hey! sorry, i didn’t forget about you! yes, i will do one next week with more normal eats 🙂 on vacation, i tend to have bits of everything (like our 3-course dinner last night haha) and one giant meal with smaller meals throughout the day

12. “Hey girl, I’ll eat salmon with you” = amazing. Lol! Also, Blue Apron rocks. 🙂

13. I love the idea of making this a date night with you and your hubby! The ingredients and meals look so fresh and straight from a restaurant! Thanks for sharing 🙂

14. I’m still on the fence about joining simply because I’m recently divorced and live alone. Plus the oven in my apartment isn’t calibrated and goes hot really fast. Are there any recipes that don’t require oven use? That could be the deal breaker.

15. Due you ship to Alaska!