my 5 favorite fitness cities

Hey hey! How’s the morning going? Hope you’re having a great day so far!! Yesterday a few of you asked where my hat and coverup were from. The hat is here (just got it a couple of months ago) and the coverup is here! (<— got it last year but they still have it! Aaaand they have a pretty blue color.)

It’s not a secret that I love to try out new fitness classes and studios when I travel. If it’s a longer trip and the schedule allows it, you’ll definitely find me checking out a new barre, spin, yoga or bootcamp class.

Purebarredtla

I took most of this past weekend off. I just got back into the game last week so I’ve been easing back into it, and this trip was 100% about lounging and spending time with friends. We’re all active, so we did break away one morning to get our sweat on, but other than that, the only lifting I did was bringing cocktails and wine to my face. #livinitup

While we were driving around, I saw some CUTE yoga studios that I definitely would love to try during our next trip to Palm Springs, and have also heard wonderful things about the hiking. (Maybe if we’re in the area when it isn’t quite so hot!)

It got me thinking about my top 5 fitness cities, and I thought I’d share them with ya! As always, I’d love to hear your favorites, too.

1) NYC. Ok, so I’m a little biased because NYC is one of my favorite places in the world, but the fitness scene is out.of.control. They’re usually the first to get a new boutique studio or class format (even though I will admit I was shocked it took a while for barre3 and Orangetheory to make their way out there!), and they always seem to have something new to try. I always try to make time for a Physique 57 class when I’m in town, and they are also the home of Ballet Beautiful, Soulcycle, Mile High Run Club, and basically anything you could wish for.

Unnamed

(with Julie and Heather!)

2) Sedona! When I visited Sedona a couple of years ago, I instantly fell in love. The scenery is breathtaking, and there’s a natural energy (from the energy vortexes) that is magical. I keep telling the Pilot that we need to take a family trip before we move! In addition to the beautiful hiking trails, they also have a great yoga scene with smaller, more intimate studios. I went for the Sedona Yoga Festival, and if you’re a yoga fan, it’s worth a trip out there.

Hikinginsedona

IMG 2006

3) Orlando. Orlando is an awesome spot in general, but I especially loved two fitness classes while I was there: Dance Trance (THE BEST. Just go!), and the yoga classes (especially at Full Circle and Orlando Power Yoga. Also, Tymi from Guruv is incredible.). Since it’s an entertainment city, you’ll also find some unique class offerings, like aerial arts and pole fitness, in addition to lush green running trails. Almost everywhere I took a class, I enjoyed myself. (If you’re staying near the resorts, I recommend checking out the Dr. Phillip’s YMCA. They have a packed schedule and the classes are great.)

Dt2

4) Tucson. I can’t do a favorite cities list without including the ol’ hometown. Tucson is a special place because they have local class offerings (and are just starting to get more of the boutique fitness classes), and beautiful hiking trails. Sabino Canyon is one of my all-time favorites.

Sabino1

If you’re in town, check out my fave fitness classes in Tucson here. If you do one thing, just take a DJ dance cardio class with Todd at Breakout. It will set your soul free.

5) LA.Usually when I travel to LA, it’s for work and the schedule is pretty packed. If I can sneak away for a fitness class, I make it happen. LA is similar to NYC that they’re usually the first to get everything, and they also have Physique 57. I’ve been wanting to take a Flywheel class, too!

Fitnessista Event 121

Where are your favorite fitness cities? Denver is on my list to visit.

Have a wonderful day and I’ll see ya later!

Comments

1. Alex Warren says:

I live in Denver, and out of the 6 different cities that I have lived in, and the many cities I have visited, it is by far my favorite outdoor fitness city! You should definitely visit!

2. Loooove that cover-up!!! What size do you have? Debating between a small and medium…

3. I love Denver!! Sedona has my heart also <3 I live in Charlotte so I may be a little biased, but the fitness community is HUGE and amazing

yes, that’s what i’ve heard!! excited to make it back there and check out more classes

4. Clearly San Francisco needs to be on here. 🙂 We have everything, including plenty of natural environments for exercise.

5. It is funny since my sister lives in NYC and has more cash than me, so she usually takes the cool classes in NYC like SoulCycle and I lift weights at home. So I had the rare occasion where I was able to try out OrangeTheory before her, and I felt like the trendy one XD As for my favorite fitness city? Bar Harbor- because I love all the different hiking trails in the area! And you can do a bunch of other stuff like biking, kayaking, etc. Yeah, I am an outdoorsy type of girl.

6. Denver/Boulder for sure! I feel like everybody is active here. Everywhere you look (haha this reminds me of the Full House theme song) there is a gym, a fitness studio, a running trail, a hiking trail… We have over 300 sunny days a year also, so outdoor fitness is (almost) always an option!

7. Hands down Tucson! There’s no way it could not be my top place. HAHA!

8. I’m from D.C. which is a really great city for running because of the gorgeous scenery! I haven’t really tried many of the fitness classes in the area though. I’d love to visit all of these places, especially Sedona to reset and get my yoga on 🙂

9. I live in Denver and I think you would love it! In the summer, there are always all sorts of bootcamps, yoga on the rocks, fitness on the rocks, or people just doing their own workout at Red Rocks (plus there are short hiking trails that come off from the amphitheater). In the summer, we rock climb, hike, backpack, run, and play volleyball at the park with some friends. Every weekend brings on new adventures. Can you tell I love it here! Sedona and Tuscon are also so pretty and love that it doesn’t have that intense heat like you get in Phoenix!

10. Crystal says:

I rarely take classes when I travel, but I usually try to get outside for a hike or rent a bike or something. As far as cities go, I love San Francisco because walking those damn hills is like getting a stair master workout.

11. Atlanta!!!

Yoga (Hot yoga especially) , Pilates, Zumba, Orangetheory, Barre, FlyWheel (Spin and Barre), Stone Summit or Adreline Climbing, BLAST, amazing gyms, trails, StellarBodies, Hiking- Stone Mountain and Kennesaw Mountain, Bootcamps out the wazoo, etc….

YES. i almost added atlanta to the list but i’v only taken hot yoga classes there. i know they have everything, though! i’m excited to go back and try more classes

• Cool! I live way out in the burbs, but we are getting more and more as time goes by. My parents live closer to the city, so I can drop of the tots for some mommy time on the weekends and in the summer 😉

12. I find it interesting that Los Angeles made the list, but not San Diego! I grew up in Los Angeles, lived there until I was seventeen and moved out to college here in SD. By far, SD appears much more active to me. Maybe it’s the environment I’m in now (college vs family), but it seems like everyone I know is training for a marathon, working on their deadlifts, or just coming home from a zumba class! When I’m home in Los Angeles, I’m going to have check out the fitness scene better!

san diego is definitely in the list! i still need to try out more of the things they have to offer here since most of the time i’ve been here i’ve been pregnant or on hiatus. i’m determined to live it up before we move! it’s an amazing active city with tons of classes and outdoor options

13. Leianna says:

Twin Cities (St. Paul, Minneapolis) actually tops the list over most of those!!! Such beautiful scenery with all the lakes and trails. It won’t disappoint!!!!

14. I temporarily moved back to my hometown from NYC and miss the fitness scene so.much. (and everything else about that glorious city.)
    Along with the ones you mentioned, Chaise Fitness is awesome (Ballet Bungee…’nough said) and the endless perfect running routes (Central Park at night is a dream)…take me back!

15. I’m totally biased because I live in NYC but I think the fitness scene here really is the most booming. Although I will say I was pretty amazed with my recent visit to LA– the West Coast is certainly upping it’s game and coming out with fun new classes even before NYC

16. I’d love to go to any of those places right about now!

17. In terms of an active city, I love Park City in Utah. I know this doesn’t relate to fitness classes, but when my husband and I lived in SLC for 2 years, we were always so active on the weekends in Park City (hiking in the summer and skiing in the winter). The scenery is definitely very motivating and makes you want to be outside and moving no matter what time of year it is!

18. I’m headed to Asheville, NC Memorial Day weekend, where I”m super excited about their Annual Mountain Sports Festival, where they have any type of activity/event you can imagine! And! Looking forward to a Bend and Brew session, where beer city meets yoga :)))

19. Forgot to mention that it’s all FREE!!! Whaaat?!

20. NYC will have my heart forever!! Love love love. But I’m also a big fan of Boston, especially in the summer and Sydney!

21. Denver is great, but you should also come to Boulder! You’ll die from its majestic beauty, the infinite amount of amazing healthy restaurants, the trails that are within minutes of any part of town and the laid back active lifestyle! I’ve been here 3 years and when I go away and come home, I Am still in awe that this is home! If you come you’ll have to come team teach Bodypump with me, it would be so fun!!

22. Being from the UK but a regular visitor to the US, love this list!

Had the pleasure of working out in NYC and LA… But have to say my favourite did not make it onto your list… San Diego!

Tom