A change I made for my health

Hi friends! Hope you’re having a wonderful day. <3 It’s been a great week so far, and today, the girls and I are off to play at the bay. 🙂

I’ve aligned with a skincare and cosmetics company that I’m genuinely passionate about, and I’m excited to share all of the details with you all this morning.

As you guys know, I’m not really an “absolutes” type of person. I used to try to follow stringent eating and exercise rules, until I realized that life is much happier lived dancing in the grey area, not in solid black or white. This is also when I finally achieved the fitness goals I’d set for myself.. turns out I just needed to relax a little bit. 🙂 It doesn’t have to be all or nothing, and it shouldn’t be if you want to feel balanced. Even so, I’m always about learning as much as I can about health and fitness, and making smarter choices when I can for myself and my family. It’s not about being “perfect,” but about creating steps for a better, happier, healthier life.

When I first became pregnant with Liv, I became acutely aware of everything I was putting in and onto my body. I wanted to give her healthy food to thrive (with the necessary cheesecake and pizza in there), and also avoid toxic chemicals whenever possible. I already read food labels fairly thoroughly, so I started doing this with my skincare and cosmetics while I was pregnant. Some of the things I thought were clean still contained pretty icky ingredients, and I became more interested in seeking out alternate brands and homemade skincare options.

Rose lip balm 1 of 1 6

Some of my favorite homemade goodies are this rose facial spray, homemade lip balm, bath bombs, and body scrub.

Something I never quite mastered: making my own night cream or facial cleanser. While homemade variations of my favorite products worked fairly well, they never felt luxurious or spa-like. Also, as much as I love DIY beauty, I find that I don’t have as much time to experiment as I used to. A lot of the *natural* or organic brand products I’ve tried in the past don’t work. When you read the bottle you’re like, “YES!” but when you try it at home, you’re like, “Oh noooooo.”

Beautycounter! Excited to learn more about this amazing skincare and cosmetics line

Well, my friend Jodi introduced me to Beautycounter a few months ago, and the products and company are pretty amazing. They don’t use any harmful toxins, don’t test on animals, and are lobbying to change the cosmetics industry as a whole. Similar to food, the US uses cosmetics ingredients that are banned in Europe. There are 1,400 chemical ingredients commonly used in US skincare products that are banned in the European Union. We haven’t had a cosmetics reform in 70 years. WHAT. What did they even use for skincare and makeup in the 1930s?!

How’s this for light reading?

Crazy

The best part: Beautycounter products are amaaaaaaazing. I use the cream cleanser, exfoliator, nourishing rose spray, and the night cream mixed with a couple of drops of the face oil. I’m a huge fan of plain oils for my face (like Argan, coconut, or rose hip), but the BC face oil is so thick, moisturizing, and smells fantastic. It’s a mix of plant oils and essential oils.

Lustro face oil

(They’ve rebranded, so the new bottle looks like this! I’ve been using the Hydrating face oil.)

Since using these products, I’ve noticed a huge difference in my sleep-deprived skin, and am excited to support a company that is working to make clean cosmetics and skincare mainstream. Toxic chemicals can disrupt hormones and have been linked to various types of cancers, so if we can get them removed from conventional products, I would be pretty stoked about that. I haven’t been this excited about skincare in a long time.

Beautycounter 2

Over the past few months, I’ve been doing more research into the products I have and use at home. I downloaded the EWG Healthy Living app, which includes safety ratings for food, as well as cosmetics/personal care items. I get a kick out of surprising myself while scanning items.

Scanning

Some of the things I had on hand with great ingredients:

Clean

(Also there are some not-so-clean products that I won’t give up and still use occasionally, like nail polish! Like I mentioned before, it doesn’t have to be all or nothing.)

Because I love the Beautycounter products so much, I signed up as a consultant to get a discount (25%) and share it with others.

Sea salt spray

I’m not going to spam you guys or anything like that (I wanted to let you know I’m a consultant for full transparency, but things will always be low-key around here), but just wanted to give you a heads up about these amazing products and the company’s mission. As you guys know, I’m very particular about the brands I choose to promote on the blog, and will only feature products I know, use, and love. If you’d like to check out the shop, the link is here. Also, if you think you may be interested in consulting or would like to host an online social, let me know. I’d be happy to help you out or point you in the right direction.

What’s your favorite DIY skincare or beauty product? Any favorite brands you’d love to share?

*For all orders over $55 placed from now until Friday night, I’ll send you a makeup brush bag or sunscreen stick. 🙂 Just email me (fitnessista at gmail dot com) with your order #, shipping address, and whether you would prefer a sunscreen stick or makeup brush bag.

Another change I made for my health: quitting gum!

Tips for getting better sleep

Comments

1. Emily Anderson says:

Are these safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding?

Also, have you tried Wundabar Pilates in San Diego? I used to go to their location in Pasadena, CA before I moved and I love it! I’d love to hear your thoughts on it.

2. I love Trader Joes tea tree face wash, Witch Hazel for toner, and Evening Primrose Oil at night. I also love your lip balm recipe – I make it regularly and share with friends!!

3. I’ll be honest, I don’t use a ton of facial creams and soaps. I had someone the other day ask me what my face routine was because I’m almost 40 and they said I look more like 30. I’ve had a lot of people tell me that. I haven’t heard of this brand, but would be interested in checking out a face lotion.

4. I’m always looking for good natural products that actually work, I have yet to find a natural deoderant and shampoo that works well for me. For nail polish have you looked at the 7-free and 5-free brands? Obviously they still use chemicals but they eliminated what was found to be the worst offenders. Brands like Zoya, Deborah Lippman, and Essie are pretty good.

• Rebekah says:

I started using Native deodorant a couple months ago and have been really pleased with it. I sometimes have to reapply in the evening if we’re going out, but it performs very well for me through the day or at the gym.

5. Milania Dela Cruz says:

I love this!! i’m definitely going to try! i use a whole bunch… kiehl’s, aveda, jojoba oil, castor oil, accure eye cream, .. but i love when you post things about facial stuff. my faves!

6. Sooooo, I bought the lustro face oil per your recommendation and I loved it. However, after about a week daily use, I developed huge (the diameter of a penny) painful cystic pimples. Three of them. I NEVER get pimples. And this was he only thing in my beauty routine I changed. I’m incredibly disappointed and have no idea why my skin reacted like this as I have used other face oils in the past without a problem.

That is such a bummer!!! Contact customer service- they have a 60 day return policy. Let me know if you need help

• I know! The oil is so nice and gives me that dewy glow. So bummed about the breakouts. I do plan on returning it.

i’ll send you a couple of samples of other goodies to try and hopefully these will be better for your skin (will grab your address from your order if that’s ok?)

7. Alexis caldwell says:

I am wanting to try beautycounter! Have you tried their shampoo and conditioner or their kids line? Also where did you purchase the label m hair line? I saw they are a UK brand. Thanks so much!

i haven’t used it yet, but my friend loves it for her 3 girls
      they sent it to me a few weeks ago! if you can find it, it is AMAZING. it smells so so so good

8. Do they have makeup as well and how natural is their makeup!

yep, they totally do! eyeshadow, lip sheer, lip gloss, mascara (everyone raves about it so i just ordered some), tinted moisturizer, tons of stuff. their stuff isn’t completely natural, but they only use safe synthetic ingredients. they try to use organic and plant-based materials whenever possible

9. I am so excited to try!!! Thanks for introducing me Gina!

10. I’ve heard amazing things about Beauty Counter!! I really need to try them!

11. I’ve been really wanting to try Beauty counter products. I’ve heard the mascara and the charcoal face cleanser is amazing! Have you tried them?

12. I love Beautycounter! I’ve been using their products for 2 years and my face has never been better. I’m also a consultant (purely for the discount). The company has such a great mission, too! Glad you are spreading the word!

13. Juliana says:

Ooh neat I’ve been meaning to try Beautycounter for a long time. I have heard great things!

One of my all time skin faves is SEA BUCKTHORN OIL!!! I got introduced to it through Living Libations Best Skin Ever (so amazing!) but it is quite expensive so I just pick up the Weleda pure sea buckthorn oil at Whole Foods. It’s still amazing! I also recently tried the face ritual from Bodycherish which was again quite expensive to ship from Canada but HOLY COW was it worth it. Also, clean beauty is one of my favorite topics and I’d love to see more posts about it!

14. Love this! I’ve been making my own body scrubs for a while now with sugar, coconut oil, and essential oils. I’m in that “contemplation” stage as far as cleaning up my skincare routine. I’m happy with how my skin looks and feels but have been really curious about cleaner products.

15. Bethany says:

Love this! I also need to stop with the gum! It’s a huge issue for me when I am stressed I turn into a chain chewer! haha
    Now going to order and hoping they ship APO!

16. I love products from Emu Oil Well (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shampoo-Conditioner-Thinning-Emu-Oil/dp/B00AME9D3O) as my scalp is horribly sensitive. Their ingredient list isn’t too large and it is very gentle. Only available in the UK so I’ll have to make my own now, probably following most of their main ingredients. Tried Burts Bees as they are supposed to have “healthier” products but they still have some harsher ingredients in them. I would avoid shampooing every day to help my scalp but I have very fine hair so it just looks gross 😛

17. I love the Skindeep app, but I’m always bummed when I find out something I have on hand has a high number… especially the expensive stuff :/

18. I am very sensitive to scents so I’ve been loving the products from this small company in Pittsburgh, Lovett Sundries. Their products are so simple and natural and they don’t use any scents or dyes! My favorite is the shampoo bar http://www.lovettsundries.com

19. I love the idea of and behind beauty counter, but as a stay at home mom, I just can’t afford it! It’s great that they are trying to make a change, but I wish a company would step up and make affordable, safe, quality products for the masses. It’s hard to actually get behind a company that is so far out of my reach.

• I should say that I’m sure lots of stay at home moms CAN afford it, it is just not even close to our personal budget.