Hi friends! How’s the morning going? I’m so glad it’s almost the weekend, and can’t believe Livi will be 5 on Sunday. Someone hold me.
Today, I’m so excited I get to share a recipe from a new ebook, Real Food Slow Cooker Recipes, written by my foodie blogger friend, Arsy Vartanian from Rubies & Radishes. Arsy and I first met through the Beautycounter world, and have become friends this past year. I love keeping up with everything she’s up to, and was so excited to hear about her new ebook. You really can’t beat a nutritious, delicious meal that only requires minimal prep. A few minutes chopping, sautéing, or blending, throw it in a slow cooker and get on with your day – dinner’s ready when you are!
Not only are all of Arsy’s dishes delicious, but each of the 70+ recipes included in the ebook are strictly Paleo — no grains, dairy, sugar, natural sweeteners, legumes or alcohol. Just nutrient-dense flavor in every comforting bite. I’ve mentioned before that I’ve really cleaned up my eating, no needless to say, all of these recipes are speaking my language.
There’s such a great variety of recipes in Real Food Slow Cooker Recipes – it’ll work for whatever you happen to have in your fridge. The recipe I’m sharing with you today is one that really popped out to me: Turkey Barbacoa. This easy recipe takes just a few minutes to throw together before it hits the slow cooker, and it makes the house smell amazing.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 18-ounce jar plum tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 6 ancho chilies, seeds removed OR 4 dried pasilla and 4 guajillo peppers, stem and partial seeds removed
- 4 turkey drumsticks OR 2 turkey drumsticks and 2 turkey thighs
- Toast sesame seeds in a pan over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place seeds in a food processor. Heat up pan to medium-high heat and add tomatoes, garlic, onion and salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Transfer this mix to the food processor. Add the chicken broth and cumin.
- After the peppers are seeded, place in food processor and blend until it becomes a sauce.
- Place turkey in a slow cooker and pour the sauce over it. Cook on low for 6 hours. Remove turkey from the sauce and place in a separate bowl.
- Shred turkey in a separate plate/bowl and not over the sauce to avoid small bones falling in. Once done, transfer to the sauce and mix. Cook in saucepan to thicken.
More good news: Fitnessista readers get 30% off Real Food Slow Cooker Recipes! Just use the code FITNESSISTA30 at checkout!