Morning, and happy Sunday!
Since today is a plan and prep day, and Summer Shape Up starts in just one week, I thought it would a great time to introduce Summer Shape Up and talk about strategies to set yourself up for success.
If you’re new to Summer Shape Up, you’re in for a treat! I’ve been running this challenge on my blog since the very beginning, and every year it evolves into something different and better than the year before. This is 100% in thanks to all of you: your support and shared motivation with one another, check-ins and awesome comments keep this thing going. You help each other along the ways to your goals, and as your cheerleader from the sidelines, it’s heartwarming and inspiring to see.
So what is Summer Shape Up?
4 weeks of fitness plans, meal ideas and motivation to shake up your routine and get killer results from your efforts. It’s 100% FREE and always will be. Many similar programs are available for a subscription fee or one-time payment on other sites. Not here. Shape Ups are complimentary, and you get the advice and structure from a certified personal trainer, weight loss specialist and Registered Dietitian all in one spot.
For my last Winter Shape Up, I brought my friend Anne (a Registered Dietitian and good friend of mine) on board to hook you up with meal ideas. She’s back to join in the fun (thank you, Anne!) and we have swag from our awesome sponsors for giveaways throughout the 4-week challenge.
What to expect:
A complete fitness plan + meal ideas for 4 weeks. If you are subscribed to my newsletter, you will get the workouts early (Friday morning) and they will also be posted early Monday am on the blog so you can plan.
Monday will be an off day, but you can shuffle the schedule around as you like.
Shape Up Facebook group
and check-ins on both of our sites. You’ll check in on my blog with your daily workout and on Anne’s for your clean eats. You can also tweet and instagram your check-ins. Each check-in = one giveaway entry. (We’ll explain the giveaways more thoroughly as they occur, so stay tuned!)
How to set yourself up for success:
Gather your supplies. You’ll need the following tools for a successful Shape Up:
1) A notebook or tracking tool (app) on your phone. I like to kick it old school and write down my daily eats, workout, and life in a notebook. Find what works best for you, and practice this week writing down your meals, workouts, water intake and how you feel each day.
2) Dumbbells. The workouts are going to be dumbbells and body weight ONLY, meaning you can do them anywhere at any time. For beginners, I suggest 3-5 lb weights to start, intermediates 8-12 lbs and advanced 12 lbs +. Find a challenging weight for you, and consider investing in a light and heavy set. You’ll use your light set for your smaller muscle groups (like triceps) and heavy for the larger muscle groups (ex: back and legs).
3) A big ol’ water bottle. This will be your prop for the next 5 weeks. Find one you like and get ready to carry it around with you everywhere!
4) Good sneakers. If your shoes are on their (literal) last leg, it’s time for a new pair. Make sure you have comfortable, functional sneakers that fit you well.
5) A workout buddy. Send this post to a friend -it’s a lot of fun to do the workouts in a group!- and if you’re working out solo, make sure to join our Facebook group so we can all cheer each other on.
(bonus: post-workout kombucha date)
Start to get your motivation mojo going. Create an inspiration board (you can check out mine on Pinterest here! Or you can also make a tangible board with paper, magazine clippings and a glue stick) to set your intentions for this Shape Up. Why do you want to change your routine? What do you want to accomplish? How do you want to feel when it’s all over?? Start to pump yourself up for success!
Are you going to be joining in the Shape Up this year? What’s something that you want to accomplish during the challenge??
Writing this post made me even more excited! Thank you for letting me train you from afar 🙂