You need this Italian kale salad in your life.
Before you groan and think “another kale salad?” I promise this one is different. It’s everything, really.
It’s also a total copycat recipe from the new pizza place in Tucson: Falora. One night this weekend, Livi and I picked up a couple of pizzas and salad to take to Kyle and Meg’s house for dinner. I was excited to try out Falora, as it’s located next to my fave yoga studio (Session Yoga!) and I knew they had Italian wood-fired pizzas. The pizzas were just as delightful as expected, but what really blew me away was the service. I couldn’t find a parking spot in the back, and while thinking of the juggling act of toddler + takeout, I called the restaurant and they ran the order out to the car, no problem at all. It was amazing.
We stuck with the classic margherita; a beautiful smoked salmon, goat cheese, and caramelized onion combo; and this Italian kale salad. It was entirely unlike the usual massaged kale fare with lemon and garlic. Instead, this one had a tangy balsamic vinaigrette, a hint of ginger spice + perfectly salty sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and kalamata olives.
Italian Kale Salad for Dinner Parties
Kale salads are also the ultimate entertaining salad because they taste better when made in advance. This gives the kale has time to wilt down, which not only makes it more palatable but easier to digest. If you’re looking for something healthy or green for the upcoming holiday feasts, this would be an awesome contribution.
Here’s the combo if you’d like to give it a whirl!
- 10 oz kale, washed, ribs removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 coin of fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup each of marinated artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes and pitted kalamata olives
- 1. In a large bowl, add the dressing ingredients. Whisk well to combine and taste to adjust seasonings as necessary.
- 2. Top with the kale, and using your hands, massage the dressing into the kale.
- 3. Add the artichoke hearts, sundered tomatoes and kalamata olives. Store in the fridge until ready to feast!
- Take it over the top: add some crumbled feta or herbed goat cheese.
More kale faves: