Hi friends! How’s the day going?? Hope you’re enjoying your morning and looking forward to the weekend. I feel like we’re in a giant waiting game right now, so I’m busy cleaning up around the house and making random food and snacks to freeze or have in the fridge for the next couple of weeks. I’ve made some amazeballs, smoothie packs, baked oatmeal, and this soup… but instead of saving it, we ate it for dinner since it smelled so fantastic.
Besides, there’s nothing like a hot bowl of soup…
on a sweltering October day. 😉
I keep forgetting it’s fall. The autumn and Halloween decorations are out, but here we are eating popsicles and hiding in the AC. I can roll with that.
While tastes tend to change over the seasons (hiiiii allthepumpkin), there’s something that almost always sounds appealing to me: soup.
It’s basically all of the components for a satisfying meal in one bowl: protein, veggies, and heartwarming broth. I think I’m even more of a soup fan now because Liv loves it so much. It’s one thing on the small list of options that I know she’ll ALWAYS eat, so when I hit a dinner inspiration block, soup is the answer.
This is my little version of white chicken chili using shredded chicken, green chiles, broth, and spices.
My mom left this bag of Mexican oregano in the pantry. She travels around with the dried herb in little baggies. Not suspect at all hahah.
It freezes beautifully, which makes it a great meal prep option. Or you could just throw everything in the slow cooker like I did, and BOOM. The house smells amazing and dinner is served.
I topped mine with cilantro, and the Pilot enjoyed his with a hefty scoop of sour cream. He’s not even a big soup guy, and he loved it.
Please let me know if you give it a try!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Hatch green chile salsa (from Trader Joe's. You can also use a small can of green chiles)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 carton (1 quart) of chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) of white beans, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Plain yogurt or sour cream + cilantro for serving
- 1. Place the chicken breasts into the bowl of a standard slow cooker and season well with salt and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients, except the beans, and gently stir to combine.
- 2. Set on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-6 hours.
- 3. Shred the chicken with a fork and stir in the beans.
- 4. Taste and add salt as needed.
- 5. Serve!
More of my favorite soup recipes: