Hi friends! How’s the morning going? Any fun plans this weekend? Today is an exciting day because madre, my stepdad and little brother are coming to spend the weekend with us. (I’m trying to convince them to bring nana, too. Fingers crossed it works.) We have some fun things planned, like Easter egg dying, s’mores on the beach, and a Sunday feast here. My nana gave me the recipe for her famous egg dish and her creme brûlée French toast, so I can’t wait to make them!
I have a conference call this morning and am going to clean up around here and get things ready for weekend fun.
In the meantime, how ‘bout a leg workout?
This workout combines some of my favorite exercises to strengthen your entire lower body, cardio blasts to increase your heart rate (and torch calories), plus some bonus core work from the balancing exercises. I hope you love it! It’s a great one to combine with your cardio today, and is something you could do at home with your own bodyweight; no extra equipment needed. You’ll warm up for 5-7 minutes with moderate cardio, and complete these exercises in a circuit, moving quickly from one to the next. As always, check with a doctor before making any fitness change and honor your body. Modify as needed.
1. Clock lunges: start with your feet together and a nice, tall posture. Take one huge step to the right, making sure to angle your foot out 45 degrees. Sink your hips back and down into your lateral lunge. Step that same foot back to center. Next, you’ll perform a front lunge with the same leg. Step it forward, keeping your feet hip distance, and sink into your lunge, with a lifted chest and tight core. Exhale, squeeze to rise and step back to center. Finally, you’ll complete a reverse lunge. Step your right foot behind you, and sink into a lunge, with your front thigh bending to try and bring it parallel to the floor. Step back to center. These three lunges are considered one rep.
2. Single side jumping lunges: instead of switching legs, you’ll jump lunge on one side for 30 seconds and 30 seconds on the other side. Make sure to land with a soft knee and sink into your lunge before springing up. If the impact is too much, try quick and efficient lunges on one side for 30 seconds before switching to the other side.
3. Plie squat: step your feet our wide (under your shoulders) and angle your toes out 45 degrees. Keep your chest up, shoulders down, and core braced, as you sink your hips down. Try to get them parallel to the floor. Squeeze every muscle in your legs to come up, and avoid locking out your knees at the top of the movement.
4. Frogger jumps: stay in the same position and bring your hands down to touch the floor (keep your chest up). Jump up, and land, touching the floor. Do as many as you can in 1 minute.
5. Leg raise combo: step one foot back and gently tap it on the floor. Keep both hips facing forward, and bring your hands to your hips or to a wall or chair for extra balance. Engage your glutes to lift your leg off the floor, as high as it will go. Gently tap back down, and lift. You’ll do 20 of these before holding the highest point and completing 20 pulses at the top. Next, hold your leg high and draw tiny circles (20 of them) with your foot. Static hold your leg up at its highest position for 20 seconds. Complete on the other side.
Hope you enjoy it!
What’s your workout looking like today? What’s going on this weekend??
Hope you have a lovely morning <3
All photos by Danny Chan