I’ve created a monster.
Who knew that sweet potatoes and chocolate could get along so well?
I think we all know about my disdain for vegetables and sweets together. I enjoy my frijoles just as much as the next girl, but keep them far, far away from my desserts.
And then, I tried making sweet potato brownies and was BLOWN AWAY. Sweet potatoes are pretty much like dessert anyway 😉
Since then, I’ve been thinking of ways to incorporate sweet potatoes into my favorite baked goodies. This is the most recent creation: chocolate chunk cookies.
Sweet Potato Chocolate Chunk Cookies
A couple of notes:
-I made these a couple of times, once with canned sweet potato and once with fresh, baked sweet potato flesh. If you can, use baked sweet potato. The can cookies tasted like…a can.
-I also tried two versions of flour: spelt and brown rice. The spelt flour isn’t gluten-free (I’m sure a baking mix would work) but the brown rice version was horrible- super grainy.
- 3.5 oz chocolate bar, cut into chunks
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 C flour of choice
- 1 C cooked sweet potato flesh
- 1 egg
- 2 T coconut oil
- Sweetener of choice - I used a tiny bit of Stevia and honey, but didn't need much
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients to combine. Next, add in the chocolate chunks and whisk to coat with flour.
- Add in the sweet potato and, coconut oil and egg. Mix well.
- Using a melon ball scooper, scoop onto the baking sheet and press down to slightly flatten.
- Bake 10-12 minutes and allow to cool on the cookie sheets for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Of course, eat any chocolate pieces that look like they’re too big. 😉
Dunking is optional, but encouraged.
I ate a few and then froze the rest for a sweet treat, or when I want to crumble one on top of oats or yogurt.
What’s your favorite dessert right now? Mine is definitely flourless chocolate cake, but thanks to Instagram, I’ve been craving a s’more since the 4th of July. Need to remedy that asap 😉