Hi friends! Thank you so much for celebrating my blogiversary with me this week, and thank you so much to those of you (many of you!!) who have taken the time to complete the blogiversary survey. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and ideas. Stay tuned for another awesome giveaway this afternoon. (Hint: it’s has to do with wine but preggies can participate haha.)
In the meantime, let’s get ready for another party we have ahead of us: Summer Shape Up! The fun begins Monday, June 15 and includes 4 weeks of FREE workout plans, meal ideas, giveaways and support along the way. On other sites, you will see programs like this for a monthly membership fee or at a cost; this is free for readers and always will be. I’ve been doing the Shape Ups since the very beginning, and have been so fortunate to watch it evolve and grow over the past handful of years.
If you’d like to join in, here are some of the things you can do now to set yourself up for success:
1) If you’re a planner, sign up for my emails. You’ll receive the plan for each week on Friday before the week begins. Monday will always be an off day, but if you know you’d like to plan ahead or shuffle things around, this way you can be sure to have everything you need in advance.
2) Gather your gear. Almost all of the workouts can be completed at home with a pair of dumbbells. I suggest having two sets available: one light set for smaller muscle groups (shoulders, triceps, biceps), and a heavy set for larger muscle groups (legs, back, chest). For beginners, I suggest 3-5 lb weights to start, intermediates 8-12 lbs and advanced 12 lbs +. You will also need a pair of comfortable sneakers, a supportive sports bra (necessary) and athletic clothes that allow you to move, or ventilate well if you’ll be outside. Brainstorm what you’d like to do for cardio. You can run or walk outside, use gym cardio machines, jump rope, bike, row, Stairclimb, anything you’d like.
Two other tools I highly recommend: a water bottle (make this your new BFF and carry with you everywhere!) and a notebook for tracking (we’ll get more into this later) or an app on your phone. I have my big Erin Condren notebook here at home, and in my purse, a tiny composition notebook where I can track workouts, thoughts and to-dos that come up while we’re out and about.
3) Take some “before” photos. I think that these are better indicators of progress instead of weight, as your body fat percentage can decrease and you could lose weight or even gain weight. Muscle is more dense than fat, so you could essentially take up less space and weigh more. (This is one of the many reasons why I don’t own a scale!) Instead, snap some “before” photos facing forward, profile and facing backwards. Bonus points for bad lighting and a grumpy look on your face haha. Something to keep in mind: this isn’t a weight loss plan. This is a plan to revamp or add some pizazz to your fitness routine, experiment with new healthy meals, increase energy, fitness performance, and have fun. If you’re looking to build muscle or lose fat, this plan will support those goals, as it’s a balanced mix of cardio, strength, flexibility and rest.
4) Round up your workout buddies! Find a partner or friend to join in the challenge with you or join our super fun and interactive Facebook group. This is an effective way to stay accountable during the challenge, and it can be a lot of fun to have physical or virtual workout buddies along the way. Some of my favorite check-ins have been from lunchtime workouts will colleagues sweating through the Shape Up together. Our Summer Shape Up Facebook group is up and running so you can check in online, ask questions, and support each other. Anne and I implemented this last year, and it’s become one of the coolest parts about the Shape Up series. Join in the Facebook group here!
(Thank you to Beth for designing the logo this year!!)
5) Start to get your motivation mojo going. Create an inspiration board (you can check out mine on Pinterest here! Or you can also make a tangible board with paper, magazine clippings and a glue stick) to set your intentions for this Shape Up. Why do you want to change your routine? What do you want to accomplish? How do you want to feel when it’s all over?? Start to pump yourself up for success!
I think that’s it! Email subscribers will receive the first week of workouts and meal ideas this Friday, and everything will be live here on the blog Monday, June 15.
So excited to watch you achieve your fitness goals, and cheer for you along the way!
Are you joining in? What’s something that you’d like to accomplish during the challenge?