Hi friends! Welcome to Week 2 of Winter Shape Up! We’re so happy that you’re enjoying the workouts and meal plans so far. If you’re just now joining in the fun, be sure to check out the intro page here! The Week 2 meal plan can be found on Anne’s site. 🙂
Another huge thank you to our 2016 WSU sponsors for supporting this year’s challenge and providing awesome giveaways along the way.
Cabot | Sabra | Sizzlefish | Pure Canadian Maple Syrup | Daily Harvest | Gluten Free Chex | Crunch Live (use code WSU30 to get a free 30-day trial. After 30 days it will roll over to a membership at $9.99, but can be canceled at any time)
Congratulations to the winners of last week’s Daily Harvest giveaway! You’ll be receiving a 6-pack of delicious smoothie blends. Carrie B. and masala girl! Check your emails and I’ll forward your info along to the smoothie fairy.
This week’s featured sponsor is Crunch Live!
I’ve been a huge fan of their online workouts and especially love them for travel. They have short workout blasts, and full-length options, depending on how much time you have to work out. You can find a variety of classes on their site, from ab work, barre, dance, to bootcamp, yoga and strength. They’re constantly releasing new workouts, and the latest will be live this week: Weigh Hard Toning. I can’t wait to try it!
Crunch Live kindly offered a free 30-day trial to all Winter Shape Up participants. Just enter the code WSU30 after you click “Free Trial” on their website. It will expire after 30 days and transition to a full paid membership. You can cancel at any time, but hopefully you won’t want to since the workouts are so good. 🙂
Also, 5 lucky winners will receive a FREE YEAR of Crunch Live workouts! Be sure to check in below each day this week for your chance to win.
Here’s what the Week 2 schedule looks like!
Tempo workout (30 minutes total): start off at a moderate pace and incline for your warm up. Hold it here for 5 minutes. Next, increase your pace to your usual steady, quick pace. Hold it for 10 minutes. Then, increase your pace so you’re uncomfortably faster, but not sprinting. Maintain it for 5 minutes, before lowering back to your base pace for 5 minutes. Cool down and stretch.
Here is workout #2!
Tips, form cues, and modification options:
This workout is AMRAP-style, so you’ll complete as many rounds as possible within 20 minutes. Be sure to warm up first with cardio at a moderate pace and incline for about 5-7 minutes. Set a timer for 20 minutes, and move through the exercises as quickly as possible with excellent form. In the comments, let me know how many rounds you complete!
1) Squat to biceps curl: make sure your feet are at least hip-distance apart. Hold a pair of dumbbells and keep your chest lifted and weight in your heels as you sink into your squat. As you exhale to rise, perform a biceps curl. Option to switch it up: each time, alternate between regular biceps curls and hammer curls.
2) Step up to upright row: stand in front of a bench of platform, and place your entire foot on the platform, holding a pair of dumbbells. Step up (option to hover the opposite leg) and perform your upright row. Keep the top foot on the platform the entire time, and then switch to your reps on the other side. Modify: skip the step up, or do your step ups and upright rows separately.
3) Matrix: start with your knees under your hips and press down through your toes. Hold a dumbbell at your chest. Keep your ears, shoulders and hips in one line as you lean back. Exhale back to start. Start with small movements to get the hang of it. Modify: if you have weak quads or are uncomfortable on your knees, try 10 walking lunges instead.
4) Renegade row: hold dumbbells in your hands and come into a plank position (on knees or toes). Keep your hips parallel to the floor as you row one dumbbell up, and keep your elbow close to your torso. Switch to the opposite side. Modify: bent-over rows.
5) Chest press with leg raises: come into a supine position holding dumbbells at 90 degrees and feet pressed into the floor with knees bent. As you complete a chest press, keep your legs at 90 degrees and bring them off the floor. Lower down but do not touch the floor and repeat. Modify: try one leg at a time.
6) Sprint, walk or jog .25 miles. Try to meet or beat your first time as you go through each round! If you don’t have access to cardio equipment, no worries. Go for 2 minutes of heart-pumping cardio! Jump rope, jump squat, burpee, high knees, mountain climbers, any combo of exercises to get your heart rate up.
Who’s excited for week 2?! Comment below to check in each day, or share your sweaty workout pics @fitnessista @fannetasticfood #wintershapeup . I’ll announce the Crunch Live winners in next week’s WSU post!
Photography: Henry Young