Crispy Shrimp and Rice Bowls with Soy-Ginger Glaze
- 1 lb shrimp, cleaned, deveined and tails removed (I used medium shrimp, but think that large would have been even better)
For the coating
- 2 1/2 cups rice Chex, ground in the food processor
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- Coconut oil (a heaping tablespoon)
For the veggies and rice
- 16 oz stir fry veggies
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Tamari or soy sauce
For the sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Process the Chex until almost a flour, but still with a little bit of texture.
- Season well with the garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Rinse the shrimp, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl.
- Dip the shrimp into the egg, then into the Chex mixture and press to make sure it’s fully coated. Since my shrimp were smaller, I did this in batches and just made sure to really press the Chex crumbs onto the shrimp.
- Place the breaded shrimp on a large plate and heat the coconut oil in a large skillet on medium to medium-high.
- Cook the shrimp in the coconut oil for 1-2 minutes per side, until cooked through and golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- While the shrimp is cooking, make the veggies and rice.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat the veggies on medium-high heat with a little coconut oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Stir frequently.
- After 5 minutes, add in the rice, a splash of Tamari and remove from heat.
- Next, make the sauce.
- Whisk all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- In each serving bowl, add the rice and veggie mixture with some shrimp on top.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and or chopped scallions, and serve with the sauce on the side. Before feasting, pour a little of the sauce on top and enjoy!