Butternut Squash Bowls with Chicken Sausage
- Butternut squash bowls from Trader Joe’s (or a whole butternut squash)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 packed of organic chicken sausage, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, mixed
- 1 small can of diced tomatoes or marinara sauce
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 2 handfuls of arugula
- 1/2 teaspoon each of basil, oregano and rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350.
- If using a whole butternut squash, peel and cut in half, close to the round end.
- Scoop out the seeds from the round end to make a bowl.
- Cut the long end in half and steam slightly in the microwave (I just cover mine with a wet paper towel) to soften it up.
- Scoop out some of the inner squash to make long squash bowls.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onion until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- the rest of the ingredients and sauté until zucchini softens.
- Scoop the filling into the squash bowls and top with manchego cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.