Best Gluten-Free Brownies
- 2/3 C brown rice flour mix (see below) OR 1/6 tapioca flour + 1/6 potato starch + 1/3 brown rice flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t xanthan gum
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 C unsalted butter (or vegan butter)
- 1 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 2 t pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs (can also use flax eggs)
- 3/4 C chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 325. Position rack in lower-middle of oven.
- Line a 8 in square baking pan with foil and grease with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and xanthan gum in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or melt in the microwave for about 45 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds).
- Whisk in sugar, vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Continue to whisk until mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Add flour mixture and whisk until incorporated.
- Stir in nuts (if you wish to add them).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with wet crumbs.
- Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove brownies from pan by lifting up foil and cool completely on rack.
- Cut into squares or triangles.