Week 3! You’re halfway through the challenge… finish strong!
Here’s what the schedule looks like for the third week. Feel free to adjust and shuffle according to your unique needs and preferences.
10 minutes steady: if you are on a cardio machine, increase your incline 3% over your usual incline. If you’re running outside, maintain a faster steady state pace. It’s only 10 minutes; you can do it!
Steady state: take a class, go for a long run, walk, dance, spin, your choice! Aim for 45 minutes to an hour.
10 minutes HIIT: 50 seconds on, 10 seconds off x 10 rounds
Flexibility day: Yoga, Pilates, a long stretch or date with the foam roller
15 minutes steady: maintain a faster speed (more like a race pace or push speed) for this one!
Your Week 3 Workout is a liiiitle different than the previous two. Three fun words for ya: burpee buy in. 😉 Before starting this workout, you’ll warm up with moderate cardio (5-7 minutes). Then you’ll do your burpee buy in (25!). Next, set a timer for 25 minutes and blast through as many rounds of the circuit as you can in that 25 minutes. Follow with your 3 minute plank and any optional cardio (you can use the schedule above if you’d like).
1) Dumbbell swing. Make sure to use a challenging weight, and hold onto it for dear life 😉 The movement for this comes from your core and glutes, NOT your arm. Power through your hips (“snap” your hips underneath you) and stop with the dumbbell at shoulder height. Kettlebell swings are a great option, too. If this doesn’t work for your shoulders, substitute another strength move that works for you that will increase your heart rate (jumping lunges or squat jumps are an idea).
2) Overhead press. Start with your arms at 90 degree angles and exhale to press them up overhead. Avoid clanking the weights together at the top. With control, lower back down to start.
3) Weighted squat. Hold a kettlebell or heavy dumbbell at your chest. Weight is in your heels, core is tight and chest is lifted. Think about sitting down on an imaginary chair behind you. Squeeze to come back up. Want an extra challenge: try some split squats with one leg on a bench or stability ball behind you.
4) Plank jack. Start in a plank position with arms mat-width or a little wider. Jack your feet out as you lower your chest into a pushup position. Jump back to start. You can also walk your feet out and then pushup for a low-imact modification, or do regular pushups.
5) Tricep dips. Keep lifted through your hips and chest, and make sure your fingertips are facing forwards towards your toes. Bend your elbows back as you come into your dip, exhale to straighten. For extra challenge, lift one leg up. You can also do overhead tricep extensions instead.
6) .25 mile sprint/run/walk OR 500m row. Challenge yourself!
You should be nice and sweaty after this one 🙂 Be sure to check in with your workouts on the giveaway page (<—click here to enter. This link will be live Monday am) on Instagram and Twitter (#summershapeup @fitnessista @fannetasticfood). Here is your week 3 meal plan. Everything you need for Summer Shape Up is on the intro page, too!
Sending you love and wishes for an awesome Week 3!