This post is sponsored through my partnership with Invisalign® clear aligners. If you’ve been considering treatment, check out the details here, and be sure to check out the “It Starts With a Smile” campaign to enter for a Smile Grant.
My active treatment with Invisalign® clear aligners has been completed for a few months now. I feel so happy that I did the treatment, especially since I’d been on the fence for years. I only had a handful of orthodontist appointments, hardly any pain, and I felt like they were inconspicuous. Since you can take the aligners out to eat and drink hot beverages, I didn’t feel like my everyday activities suffered in the least. Before I had Invisalign treatment, my teeth were fairly straight since I’d had braces two full times (plus one half a time when they put the wrong type of braces on me. Cool bro), but I was still really concerned about my overbite. After Invisalign, my overbite is just about gone (ortho wants it to move about 3mm before I switch to retainers) and my teeth are noticeably straighter.
Here’s a pic from a couple of years ago:
(Sigh. Liv was so little! Also, going back, it was interesting to see how many pics I used to take with funny faces or a close-mouthed smile, just to hide my overbite.)
and a recent one!
A bright confident smile is always a great accessory, and I thought that I’d share 10 benefits and little things to make you smile today:
1) Smiling can improve your mood. Smiling increases the production of endorphins, which are the same feel-good neurotransmitters we release during workouts. Even if you don’t *feel* happy, I like to fake it till I make it. I try to still feel and act pleasant on my grouchy days and find that it quickly turns around.
3) Smiling can make you more creative and potentially increase productivity.
4) Smiling can decrease pain. Even with no emotion behind the smile, it can help to tolerate pain. I should have known this one during labor haha.
5) Smiling can reduce stress. Even though it can be challenging to smile in stressful situations (if I try to smile when I’m stressed, I’m pretty sure I look like the Joker), it can reduce your heart rate.
6) Smiling strengthens your immune system. It can stimulate the immune response by helping you relax.
7) Smiling makes you seem more approachable. It’s funny because I’ve mad a couple of close friends just through being friendly, smiling, and saying, “Hello.” It’s funny what can happen when you make an effort to be more pleasant to others.
8) Look younger? In this study, participants looked at photos of smiling faces and guessed that they were years younger.
9) Video clips of men trying liquid eyeliner. This always makes me smile.
10) Smiles are contagious. This study suggests that just by seeing someone else smile, you’re more likely to return the expression and enjoy all of the benefits listed above.
It’s funny how much a simple thing like smiling and happiness can transcend across multiple areas of life.
I’m really excited to share a new campaign with you for the chance to win a free Invisalign treatment. “It Starts With a Smile” is a great way to share your story and how Invisalign clear aligners would improve your confidence. You can read all of the details here!
What’s something that has made you smile lately?
If you’ve been considering Invisalign, go here to find a doctor near you.