Let the avalanche of all things pumpkin begin.
I feel like this year, a lot of people are playing it cool when it comes to pumpkin. You know, trying not to act *too* excited about its arrival. (Also it could totally be the fact that many of us are still experiencing true summer weather.) And then, there are people like me who have already enjoyed a PSL (or a few….), and upon seeing the shelf of pumpkin-filled cans at Trader Joe’s, I did the slow-mo run to them, arms wide open, and a creepy smile on my face.
I just can’t help myself.
While the Pilot doesn’t go crazy for pumpkin at all, I gave birth to a pumpkin-obsessed little friend, who shares my enthusiasm for this festive gourd.
She picked out the pumpkin butter and Puffins.
Flourless Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
This afternoon, I decided to embark on my first pumpkin baking adventure of the season, with chocolate chip pumpkin bars. It was a twist on my beloved flourless blueberry breakfast bake (recipe is in the book!), and uses creamy almond butter and egg as the base. The result: a dense, buttery, perfectly spiced, and sweet healthy pumpkin dessert or snack. It’s also amazing in the morning with some butter and a side of scrambled eggs.
Here’s this healthy pumpkin recipe if you’d like to give it a try!
and a video!
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray or grease with coconut oil.
- 2. In a large bowl, use a fork to whisk the almond butter until fluffy. Add the egg and mix well.
- 3. Stir in the pumpkin and remaining ingredients, gently folding in the chocolate chips.
- 4. Pour into your prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, until slightly golden and set. Allow to cool completely before storing covered in the fridge.
Something to talk about: Pumpkin fanatic: yes or not so much?! What’s your favorite fall dessert recipe?