This is my healthier at-home version of our beloved Bo-Beau Kitchen flatbread: goat cheese, beet and jalapeño. AKA three things you wouldn’t really think to put together.
But, this unique flatbread combination is so right.
The component that helps bring everything together is a sweet onion-tomato spread. To make this, all I did was heat one large diced sweet onion on the stovetop, liberally seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper. After about 5 minutes, I stirred in three tablespoons of tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and removed from the heat.
Next, I went to work on the dough. I’d love to say I made it from scratch, but this came from a package and it was delightful. You can make yours from scratch if you’re fancy like that -this is the best pizza dough recipe and I also love the Bob’s Red Mill mixes- but if you need a little head start, I’m right there with ya.
Next, spread your onion sauce on top plus a soft crumbled cheese of choice. (I went with a container of goat cheese.)
Top with sliced steamed beets,
hard shredded cheese (used Manchego), and sliced fresh jalapeños.
Bake according to your dough’s specifications and top with crushed red pepper.
Goat Cheese Flatbread Recipe
Recreating this Bo-Beau Kitchen recipe was a little more challenging because my menu was clouded by the extreme foodgasm experience. The good news is that it tastes remarkably similar to our favorite restaurant version, albeit a little healthier. It’s easy, delightful, and especially fantastic with a glass of red 😉
Goat Cheese, Beet and Jalapeño Flatbread
A unique combo of ingredients to create a slightly sweet, bold side dish. Serve with a chopped veggie salad for a wonderful dinner option, or use as an appetizer or side dish.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 8 1x
For the onion spread
- 1 large sweet onion, finely diced
- Salt, pepper and olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the flatbread
- -1 batch of your favorite pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- -1 container soft cheese of choice (I like goat cheese)
- -Hard cheese of choice, grated (manchego is my fave)
- -4 large beets, steamed and sliced
- -Fresh jalapeño slices
- -Crushed red pepper
- 1. To make the onion spread, season the onion well with olive oil, salt and pepper on the stovetop. Saute for five minutes before adding the tomato paste and sugar. Remove from heat.
- 2. Preheat the oven according to your pizza dough’s specifications. Oil and flour a pizza stone or large baking sheet before spreading out your dough.
- 3. Poke the dough with a fork a few times before adding the tomato spread. Use a spatula to spread well.
- 4. Add your soft crumbled cheese, the beet slices, the hard grated cheese and jalapeño.
- 5. Bake according to your dough’s specifications.
- 6. Top with crushed red pepper before serving.
- Serving Size: 4
Let me know if you give it a try!
What’s your all-time favorite pizza combo? Like any interesting toppings?
Another one of our faves is this Three As pizza 🙂