Summer Shape Up is a free, fun, 4-week nutrition and fitness plan you can do at home! All of the details are in this post.
Hi friends! How are you?? I hope you had a beautiful weekend. I’m back from Chicago and had an amazing weekend with the fam. We enjoyed Father’s Day brunch with the Pilot, and spent the evening at my dad’s house, eating dinner, swimming, and watching the girls play in the most incredible playroom they built for all of the grandkids.
I’m writing this post with lots of excitement because Summer Shape Up starts exactly one week from today!
If you’re new to Summer Shape Up, you’re in for a treat! I’ve been running this challenge on my blog since the very beginning, and every year it evolves into something different and better than the year before. This is 100% in thanks to all of you: your support and shared motivation with one another, check-ins and awesome comments keep this thing going. You help each other along the ways to your goals, and as your cheerleader from the sidelines, it’s heartwarming and inspiring to see.
So what is Summer Shape Up?
4 weeks of fitness plans, meal ideas and motivation to shake up your routine and get killer results from your efforts. It’s 100% FREE and always will be. Many similar programs are available for a subscription fee or one-time payment on other sites. Not here. Shape Ups are complimentary, and you get the advice and structure from a certified personal trainer, weight loss specialist, and Registered Dietitian all in one spot.
For this Shape Up, I’m thrilled to be collaborating with Emily Field. She’s been my personal macro coach for about a year and she is AMAZING. I can’t wait for you guys to see the meal plans!
Emily is a breath of fresh air in the wellness space. She believes in many of the same things I do (love your body for what it can do, fuel yourself without deprivation, and focus on promoting healthy hormones, performance, and mental wellbeing) and provides so much free content on her IG page. The meal plans she created for you guys include macro counts if you’re into the macro thing, and I’m so thankful that she’s joining in the fun this year.
What to expect:
A complete fitness plan + meal ideas for 4 weeks. If you are subscribed to my newsletter, you will get the workouts early (Friday morning) and they will also be posted early Monday am on the blog so you can plan. Sign up here to get everything in advance:
How to set yourself up for success:
Gather your supplies. You’ll need the following tools for a successful Shape Up:
1) A notebook or tracking tool (app) on your phone. I like to kick it old school and write down my workout and life in a notebook. Find what works best for you, and practice this week writing down your meals, workouts, water intake and how you feel each day. If you plan to track your macros, download My Fitness Pal or Chronometer.
2) Dumbbells. The workouts are going to be dumbbells and body weight ONLY, meaning you can do them anywhere at any time. For beginners, I suggest 3-5 lb weights to start, intermediates 8-12 lbs and advanced 12 lbs +. Find a challenging weight for you, and consider investing in a light and heavy set. You’ll use your light set for your smaller muscle groups (like triceps) and heavy for the larger muscle groups (ex: back and legs).
3) A big ol’ water bottle. This will be your prop for the next 5 weeks. Find one you like and get ready to carry it around with you everywhere!
4) Good sneakers. If your shoes are on their (literal) last leg, it’s time for a new pair. Make sure you have comfortable, functional sneakers that fit you well.
5) A workout buddy. Send this post to a friend -it’s a lot of fun to do the workouts in a group!- and if you’re working out solo, make sure to check in with us on Instagram (@fitnessista @emilyfieldRD) and use the #summershapeup hashtag so we can cheer each other on! This is also a great opportunity to chat with a doctor if you’re going to be making any fitness or nutrition changes.
(with Meredith, Katie and Renée! We had a blast filming the videos for ya.)
6) Start to get your motivation mojo going. Create an inspiration board on Pinterest, or you can make a tangible board with paper, magazine clippings and a glue stick) to set your intentions for this Shape Up. If you’d prefer to write it all out, take a few minutes to journal about how you want to feel when the month is over. Why do you want to change your routine? What do you want to accomplish? Start to pump yourself up for success!
Are you going to be joining in the Shape Up this year? What’s something that you want to accomplish during the challenge??
Have a happy Monday and I’ll see you soon!