This is just ridiculous.
Before we talk protein bars, let’s talk about The Bachelor. DID YOU WATCH IT?! Are they really trying for ratings this season or what? The tupperware joke. I’m still cringing bahaha. I loved that they saved the normal people for the last round, for the most part. Good TV.
So, yesterday afternoon I decided to make these protein bars. I’ve been trying to get back in the swing of normal eating -I certainly enjoyed the holiday cheer- and ended up making something that tastes exactly like a candy bar. It wasn’t purely intentional… 😉 I just mixed some ingredients in a bowl, and before you knew it I was screaming, “YES! YES!” and drizzling chocolate with a creepy smile on my face.
Basically these taste like a healthy Nestle Crunch bar. There are no rice crispies, but the coconut and oats give them an awesome crunchy texture. It’s kind of hard to believe that you’re getting a dose of healthy fats, protein, and smart carbs in each glorious serving.
These are sweetened with a little bit of honey and sit in the fridge to set for an hour or so.
Here’s the recipe if you’d like to give it a try!
Crispy Chocolate Protein Bars
A protein bar that tastes like a candy bar.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1/2 cup oats (for gluten-free, use certified gluten free oats)
- 1/2 cup chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond butter (creamy, unsalted, thin almond butter)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1. In a large bowl, thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- 2. Line a small baking dish (around 8×8 works well) with parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- 3. Press the mixture into the bag and place in the fridge to harden, for about one hour.
- 4. Cut into bars and enjoy!
- Store covered in the fridge.
- For the chocolate drizzle: melt 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon coconut oil either in a double boiler, or in the microwave at 20 second intervals. Scoop the mixture into a plastic bag and cut off the end. Drizzle the chocolate over the bars before placing back in the fridge to harden.
See ya later today with a post about my first Barry’s Bootcamp experience!
Something to talk about: favorite candy bar EVER. Mine is the Sea Salt Soiree. LOVE. 🙂
More dessert-esque healthy snacks: