This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup only takes 10 minutes of prep work. It’s gluten-free, high in protein, and makes the house smell amaaaaazing. It’s an awesome fall dinner the whole family will love.
Hey friends! How ‘bout a bowl of soup?
It was sweater weather for a miraculous 2 weeks here, but now it’s back in the 80s. Even so, I’m still craving and enjoying soup a few times a week. It’s an easy way to get in protein and veggies, it reheats beautifully for lunches, and the girls will actually eat it. High fives all around.
One of our very favorite: chicken tortilla soup.
But, I kinda cheat to make it.
My favorite hack to getting the prep done in less than 10 minutes and make it taste amazing: rotisserie chicken meat. I loooooove using rotisserie chicken in casseroles, soups, and one-pot meals. Not only does it cut the cooking/prep time WAY down, but it adds so much flavor. The dogs agree. They stand in the kitchen and bark at me the entire time I remove the meat. Of course, I share the love with them. (Also, I think Bella needs a chicken birthday cake again this year.)
I’m pretty particular about chicken tortilla soup. A lot of restaurants serve this abomination that’s packed with slimy cheese, random veggies, and corn. Corn has no place in my soup. (Sorry to all the corn lovers out there, but nope.) In this case, simple is better. Let the real flavors shine though, pump it up with some fresh lime juice, and it will set your soul free.
All you do is make the broth in the Instant Pot,
place some tortilla chips into a bowl,
pour the broth and chicken mixture on top,
then add your toppings (cheese, lime juice, sour cream, avocado, cilantro). That’s it!
Here’s the super quick and easy recipe:
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
A delicious and healthy soup the whole family will love. It only has six ingredients + toppings, too!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Rotisserie chicken meat from one whole chicken
- 4 oz canned diced green chilies
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground oregano (if you can, pick it up in the international aisle)
- about 40 oz chicken broth
- Tortilla chips (salted or unsalted; I prefer unsalted and then can add more salt at the end)
- Lime juice
- Sour cream*
- *= can use a dairy-free version. All toppings are optional!
- 1. Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and let it heat up for a minute or two.
- 2. Add some olive oil to the pot, the green chilies, garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- 3. Add the tomato paste and oregano. Heat for a minute, then whisk in the broth until smooth.
- 4. Stir in the chicken and cover.
- 5. Set for 20 minutes on the soup setting. Allow the pressure to release naturally for about 10 minutes, then quick release to get the remaining pressure out.
- 6. Place some chips at the bottom of each serving bowl. Pour the broth/chicken mixture on top and add your toppings. Feel free to add more salt if needed.
- If you’re using the slow cooker instead of the Instant Pot, follow the same steps, but cook 3-4 hours on high (for 4-6 hours on low) in the slow cooker.
- Feel free to change up the toppings according to your preference! Fresh lime juice is a must, k?
- Serving Size: 4
Pin it for a rainy day:
So, tell me friends, what’s your favorite soup recipe? Please send all of the links my way! I’m always looking to change it up.