Hi everyone! How’s your day going?? Mine has been full of training appointments and a small shopping blitz at TJ Maxx –our TJ Maxx here is surprisingly awesome….oh, and a mountain of carrots.
Since I couldn’t get that sweet, tasty Indian carrot dish (which, thanks to you guys, I found out was called “Gajar Halwa”) out of my mind, I decided to make my own.
Before I got started, I had the urge to juice some things.
Blurry kale ribs, 6 strawberries, an organic cuc, 1/2 beet and an apple
It was probably the coolest looking Cullen juice I’ve made.
I chugged that bad johnny down and got to work.
Vegan Gajar Halwa
Serves two normal people as a side dish; serves one Gina as a snack
-8 large carrots
-1 T Earth Balance (I use soy-free; roll with any vegan butter of choice)
-1 C almond milk
-1 t vanilla extract
-pinch each of nutmeg and saffron
-1/4 t cinnamon
-7 drops liquid Stevia (or sweetener to taste)
1. Heat a skillet just over medium heat (one 1-10, ours was set at 6) while you prep the carrots
2. If you have a lot of time, grate the carrots. If you’re impatient like me, throw them in the food processor and pulse until crumbly but not mushy
3. Add 1/2 T of the Earth Balance to the skillet, the carrots and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Cook the carrots, stirring occasionally for 7-10 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium low and add the almond milk, the other 1/2 T Earth balance, the saffron, vanilla, cinnamon, Stevia, nutmeg and saffron.
5. Cook for 15 minutes until mixture is thick and creamy, almost like a pudding. If you can stand it anymore, it’s perfectly edible after 10 minutes
6. Feast… and wish you had made more 😉
©2010 The Fitnessista
Please let me know if any of you give this a whirl! 😀
Conference call, core body fusion (just abs and stretching) and then meeting the girls for dinner and a movie. We’re seeing Remember Me- I’m thinking that I’ll love it 🙂