Happy Valentine’s Day week! <3 To celebrate, I have a recipe for superfood snack bites!
It’s fun to look back and think about how I’ve spent different Valentine’s Days throughout my life: as a little kid, carefully analyzing which boy got which Valentine; in high school, watching sappy movies with my best girlfriends; a college date night with my best friend since the Pilot was deployed; our Valentine’s Day trip to One Ocean in Jacksonville; and now, with my sweet little Livi valentine. We have a fun day planned, and I’m pretty excited about it.
Even though I get that it ranks middle to low on the “awesome holidays” list, I’ve always been a of a fan of heart day. I’ve also always been legitimately obsessed with all things chocolate, so how could heart-shaped boxes of the good stuff do me wrong? That’s right. They can’t.
In honor of the upcoming holiday, I knew there had to be at least one chocolatey recipe on the blog this week.
Superfood Snack Bites
We’re eating through the stuff in our pantry as preparation for moving, so the giant bags of superfoods and usual staples will be creatively used for the next few weeks.
When I saw the hemp seeds and goji berries, I thought that they would make awesome snack bite components. I love the nutrients and gentle crunch of the hemp seeds, plus the boost of antioxidants from the goji berries. Add in a little chocolate, almond butter, chia and sweetener, and these little bites were a dream come true.
They were also a great emergency snack while we were at the vet today. Caroline and Bella needed check-ups, so Livi and I took them to their appointment this morning. These little snack bites were the perfect little snack before lunch.
Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons goji berries
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1. In a small food processor, pulse all ingredients until a soft dough forms.
- 2. Using a melon ball scooper, scoop the mixture into 8 even servings and using your hands, roll into balls.
- 3. Place in the fridge to slightly harden, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Enjoy as a filling and delicious snack bite! Store covered in the fridge for up to one week.
- Don't have goji berries? No worries-- any dried fruit will do!
- Feel free to substitute the maple syrup with another sweetener of choice. 2 tablespoons of pure honey would work well, too!
Some more of my favorite Valentine’s-appropriate desserts:
–Raw chocolate tart (possibly my favorite dessert EVER)
Are you making anything fun this week?!
I’d love to hear any Valentine’s Day stories, too! Any particularly memorable heart days?? I’ll never forget the night I threw a party with 15 girlfriends since all of our husbands were deployed. It was amazing.
Have a wonderful afternoon. <3