Hey Fitnessista readers!
This is Missy from MissyMaintains and I am incredibly honored to be writing a Focus On post for Gina’s blog! I am a long time Fitnessista fan and always love to write about favorite workout, intenSati. I discovered this fitness class last year and have been hooked ever since. This workout not only changed the way I view exercise, but also made me a more positive person in everyday life. Because I feel so passionate about this workout, I decided to do something beyond my comfort level and take intenSati leader training last November. I now teach this class in NYC and love every minute of it.
What is intenSati?
IntenSati is a revolutionary workout, fusing high-energy aerobics, martial arts, dance, yoga, and strength conditioning. Combining spoken affirmations with simple choreography, IntenSati provides a heart-pumping, exhilarating workout that builds physical, mental, and spiritual muscle. "Inten" derives from "intention", and "Sati" is a Pali word which means mindfulness. Each class begins with a share from the leader about how they are using intenSati in their own life and how they are feeling at that present moment. They may discuss the class series and ask their students to relate parts of it to their own lives. Next, there is a a warm up to get the heart rate going before getting into the intense, high cardio section. Eventually the series begins with different kickboxing and dance like moves such as kicking, punching, or even shimmying! Every movement has an affirmation that goes along with it. The exercises are named for the attitude that one is embodying to help train the mind and body. For example, the move Strength might comprise of a punching action and an affirmation like "I am strong now!" The class ends with a lower body portion consisting of exercises such as lunges and squats. There is also a relaxing stretching and meditation portion to finish off the class.
What to expect?
- To think that the affirmations are super weird for your first couple of classes. I did not start saying them until about three months in!
- To burn a lot of calories! I typically burn 500 to 700 calories in the hour.
- To have the affirmations stuck in your head all night after one class. I always find myself singing things like, "I believe I will succeed!"
- To become addicted. The amazing workout and positivity that I experience from every class makes me crave it all of the time!
What to Wear?
Comfortable fitness clothes and sneakers. You may find several people from the class wearing clothing with hearts and peace signs. This is because Patricia Moreno, the founder of intenSati, partners with a company called PeaceLoveWorld which makes clothing with positive symbols and sayings on it.
- Amazing cardio workout. I never thought I would find a class where I burn more calories than I do in spin and actually have a blast at the same time! I am always in a pool of sweat by the end!
- Incredibly fun. I actually look forward to going to the gym because I enjoy this class so much. Sometimes it turns into one big dance party!
- Positivity: The positive affirmations really have changed my way of thinking. I am definitely a much happier person since starting intenSati.
- Community: We are encouraged to introduce ourselves to one another before every class and support each other in every day life. I’d say about 75% of my friends are from intenSati which has been so helpful for me since I am not from New York.
- Life Changing: This class and spiritual practice truly has changed my life. I have more confidence, I have more friends, and I now teach fitness!
- Some people may think the affirmations are annoying and simply want to be there for the cardio aspect.
- Limited locations: IntenSati is exclusive to Equinox gyms in New York. I was forced to invest in a super expensive gym membership for this class. It is epecially tough to find if you do not reside in NYC.
- Lack of strength training: I am so hooked on this class that I barely take weight classes anymore. I do miss the extreme soreness I used to feel after a good strength class like Core Fusion or Total Body Conditioning.
Want to see more about intenSati? Check out the video below:
Have you tried intenSati before? What did you think of it?
Check out satilife.com to find a class near you!