Today I have a delicious recipe for healthy baked zucchini sticks. They’re perfect for when you have a hankering, but don’t want the greasy, fried variety found at most restaurants.
First, here’s a bit about what I’ve been up to lately: shopping for bridesmaid dresses!
Steps for Trying on Bridesmaid Dresses
1. Shop with the bride (of course), but also bring a friend who has a keen eye for fashion and tells you like it is.
2. Try on something that makes you feel like a cast member of Grease or West Side Story, just because you have to.
(You should have seen my rendition of “America.”)
3. Follow it up with an amazing lunch.
I’ve always been scary stoked for Meg and Kyle’s wedding (even before Kyle proposed), but it felt so far away. Now that the plans are starting to fall into place – we know the date and venue, Meg has her dress (and looks absolutely breathtaking in it, as expected) – it’s going to be here before we know it. We got Liv’s dress quite a while ago and I can’t wait to dance with her at the wedding! Something about babies dancing in fancy clothes is the best thing ever.
Healthy Baked Zucchini Sticks
I’ve been having a mad hankering for zucchini sticks, but haven’t seen them on a menu recently. I’ve always chosen the zucchini sticks over the cheese variety because once I choked on a mozzarella stick. I popped the entire thing in my mouth, the stringy cheese got stuck on the way down, I tried to swallow and then looked around wide-eyed as I sputtered and hacked. Thankfully my mom saved me. Since then, I’ve gravitated towards the zucchini and mushroom fried appetizers. Bonus: there’s a vegetable hidden under the oil and breaded coating!
Since they’re usually fried up in oil, I thought it would be fun to try a healthier at-home baked version.
Not only is it better health-wise, but I’ve been known to set off the smoke alarm making a grilled chicken salad. Frying scares me.
The secret ingredient is….
brown rice crisp cereal!!
I thought it would be a delicious option instead of bread crumbs, and it made a lovely crispy crust.
Brown rice crisp cereal would also be a perfect chicken, seafood, veggie or tofu coating.
Here’s the recipe if you’d like to give it a try!
- 1.5 cups brown rice crisp cereal
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of cayenne
- olive oil spray
- 3 small zucchini
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Pulse cereal and herbs and spices in the food processor. You can make it as fine or as textured as you'd like.
- Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil.
- Slice up your zucchini into sticks.
- Whisk one egg and one egg white in a bowl.
- Dip the zucchini into an egg mixture, then into the brown rice crispy coating. The more crisps, the better.
- Place the breaded zucchini sticks onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Spray with olive oil.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Serve with ranch dressing or marinara.
You could also cover them with goat cheese, heat in the microwave and eat with a fork. Not that I’ve tried it. 😉
Hope you have a great day and I’ll see ya later!
On the fashion page: Hair-growing tips from Meg
Also, the triple threat workout in case you missed it!