Hi friends! Hope you’re having an amazing morning so far. I feel like we need to talk about Game of Thrones but to be totally honest, I’ve only seen like 5 episodes. (Don’t throw anything at me. I just never really got into it.) Each time I’ve watched it with the Pilot, he’s given me thorough synopses on the plot lines and characters. It’s enough to the point where I have an idea of what’s going on. But the last episode!!! WOWWWW. So crazy!! Also, don’t watch this if you haven’t seen it yet (spoilers), but I loved this clip from a bar so, so much. Watch for the drinks thrown in the air!
So for today, let’s talk about life hacks! Before I get into this post, I want to be very clear that I’m not writing this post from the vantage point of a life expert. I literally put my laundry in the oven sometimes and look for my sunglasses while I’m wearing them. Bu,t I’ve found a handful of rare gems that have made my life easier, so I thought it would be fun to share some life hacks with each other this fine morning.
(The queen of life hacks, Marie Kondo. Image source is here)
Here are some of the things that first popped into my head when I came up with the idea for this post:
Work + productivity:
– Leave the dishes in the sink. I love having a clean house, not only because it feels good and makes it way less stressful if you have impromptu guests or family over for dinner, but also because I feel more calm when my surroundings are in order. After I would drop off the girls at school, I’d easily spend 45 minutes cleaning up, and then I’d maybe catch a quick workout or get a few emails done and it was already time to pick up P. Those 3 hours go by QUICKLY. I finally realized that when the girls are in school, I need to focus on the things I can only do when they’re not home. This is work. I can do chores or cook and they’ll play happily together, but the second I take out my computer, everyone is suddenly injured or urgently needs me. So, I started leaving the dishes in the sink and doing basic cleanup stuff after I pick up P from school.
– I take off my dip nails the night before my appointment. I’ve posted about this on Instagram, but this dramatically decreases time at the salon. I can’t sit still for that long and it feels like such a time suck! I use a rough file to file the heck out of the top coat (so it no longer looks shiny), then soak 1/2 a cotton round in pure acetone, place it on top of my nail, and wrap in foil. I let it sick there for 20-30 minutes (it just glides off after that!), and do one hand at a time so I have free use of my other hand. Even though one hand is soaking, I’m at home instead of at the salon and can still move around freely and do other things. Now my appointments take 45 minutes max, and my favorite nail tech always thanks me for taking them off in advance. She says it makes her job way easier, so wins all around.
– You know those super bright clothes that look dingy after you wash them a few times? The color just isn’t as bright and they don’t look nearly as fresh as they did when you bought them. For these types of clothes, I do a vinegar soak before washing and they look bright and new!! You just full a bucket with cold water, add about 1/2 – 1 cup plain vinegar and soak for 15-20 minutes. Next, throw into the washer on a cold cycle, and air dry.
– When we come home with to-go boxes from pizza night, instead of letting the pizza die a slow death in the fridge, I immediately put it in the freezer. It comes in handy a few weeks later when we might be low on groceries and the girls are looking for a snack.
I put the call out on Instagram to hear some of your life hacks, and here are some of the amazing responses I received:
Meal prep + cooking:
– Bulk meal prep for the entire week
– Buy pre-chopped onions and pre-chopped produce as much as possible
– Using my kitchen mixer to shred chicken
– Labeling all of the food that goes into the fridge! I’ve converted so many people
– I pack lunches while I clean up dinner and lay out clothes while putting the kids to bed (<— I do this one, too)
– Use Alexa for my grocery list. Have the app on your phone so you can’t lose your list!
– Freezing leftover rice/beans and other grains in muffin tins! Pop them out and store in a Ziploc in the freezer
– Setting the coffee pot the night before. Always appreciated in the morning
– Use beard dye to tint my eyebrows.. seriously life-changing and so cheap!
– Brushing my teeth in the shower
– I set alarms on my phone for things like medications, changing the litter, and drinking H2O
– Set a timer and do a quick power clean
– Breakfast in the van on the way to school. No nagging for them to hurry up or we’ll be late. (* I used to do this until a child spilled an entire cup filled of waffles and syrup down the center console of my car. Never again lol.)
– Totally put my kids in their “tomorrow clothes” when they come out of the bath at night
– Keep a paint brush in your beach bag. Use it to brush the sand off your chairs, toys, and feet.
– Throw away all of your socks and buy all the same socks in the same color. (THIS IS GENIUS)
– Folding little kids’ laundry… wrap up piles in clean bath towel. Way easier to transport!
So friends, please share something that makes your life easier in the comments section below! I can’t wait to read about your favorite life hacks.
Have a wonderful day.