(gluten and dairy-free, too!)
Oh friends, do I have a salad for youuuuuu….
Soft kale with a creamy dressing, plus crunchy almonds, celery bites and savory scallions
This one was very much inspired by a recent trip to the co-op. Usually when we go there, we’ll just grab a couple of essentials, but lately, I’ve been trying out some of their salads and deli goodies. They have a full deli upstairs, and while it’s much smaller than a hot bar, they offer an incredible selection of salads, vegan dishes, soups and desserts. I tried a small container of their Super Kale Salad, and thankfully, all of the ingredients were on the container so I could attempt my own later 😉
For the kale, I used the pre-bagged stuff from Trader Joe’s. I do my best to pick out the ribs, but sometimes a few end up in there anyway.
The final product tasted EXACTLY like their version, and is something I’ll be making frequently. I never would have thought to pair almond butter with mashed avocado, and the result is like a glorious nutrient-dense vegan mayo. So, so good!
Savory Kale Salad
A creamy twist on the kale salad using avocado and almond butter as the *mayo.* Enjoy by itself or atop quinoa for a nutrient-dense and delicious lunch!
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 4 1x
- 6 cups of kale (unpacked), ribs removed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 1 mashed avocado
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 celery ribs, thinly chopped
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1 bunch of scallions (thinly slice and use the green tops)
- 1. In a large bowl, lightly spritz the kale with Bragg’s before massaging with your hands to break down the kale. Remember that a little goes a long way and you can always add more! Add the garlic powder and season with salt and pepper.
- 2. In a smaller separate bowl, mix the mashed avocado with the almond butter. If the almond butter is thick, you may need to add a drizzle of olive oil to thin it out.
- 3. Pour the avocado-almond butter mixture on top of the kale, and using your hands, massage to coat well. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- 4. Add the almonds, scallions and celery, and stir well to combine.
- 5. Feast!
- Serving Size: 4
This is random, but it turns out that this salad makes awesome road trip food, too 😉 I packed some up with a fork, and it was the perfect afternoon snack.
Hope you’re enjoying the day!
Any awesome salad combos lately?
More of my favorite kale recipes:
PS. I’ll be teaching at a beach bash for Ocean Spray’s new fitness water (PACt Cranberry Extract Water) in Hermosa Beach next Thursday, October 23. Please come join me for some awesome fitness classes -my friend Cassey is teaching, too!- just RSVP for your spot via this link. I’ll be leading the Zumba and barre classes, and can’t wait to work out with some of you 🙂 xo