Hey hey! Happy Wednesday! Thank you so much to those of you who have entered the huge giveaway already! I’m excited about this one. 🙂 Hope you’re enjoying the week so far. This week is a fun but crazy one. Livi has her school Christmas party and a holiday luncheon for the teachers (I’m making Uncle E’s famous pasta salad), two girls’ nights (wahoo! One was last night), I’ve had 2 awesome podcast interviews, and our cousins get into town this weekend. It’s a jam-packed week of work and play.
I’ve received some requests to bring back What I Ate Wednesday, especially now that I’ve been tracking macros. I figured that today would be a good one to post, since yesterday was a workout day, and I went out with friends that night. I’ve included macro stats below. If you find this triggering or unhelpful to you in any way, please skip this post! I’ll see ya back here tomorrow with an all-new workout video.
On the nights that I know we’ll be going out, I’ll be having cocktails and/or dessert, I like to do a couple of things:
– I load up on protein earlier in the day so I’m not trying to fill the gaps later. I also include lots of veggies and fresh fruit so I feel satisfied
– I pre-log what I think I’m going to eat for dinner and include cocktails, dessert, and/or some type of oils “cushion” since restaurant meals often include more oil than I’d use at home
– I eat less fats during the day since restaurant meals tend to be higher fat
Here’s an entire day of eats from yesterday!! (Note: the individual stats for each meal might be slightly different than the total. I logged everything into Chronometer but to get the individual stats, I used My Fitness Pal, because it’s easier to get stats for 1 meal at a time.)
7:30am: I chug some Decaf Bulltetproof coffee with almond milk on our way out the door for school drop-off
9:10am I eat half of P’s waffle that’s on the table before heading our to Orangetheory
I LOVED the workout yesterday. The floor work wasn’t my fave -mostly because it was a lot of TRX core work I had to modify – but the run and row portions were really fun and challenging.
10:45am: I’m back home from OTF and have a podcast interview in 15 minutes. I quickly make breakfast and snap a picture of it, but don’t have a chance to eat the oats until after the interview
(1 egg, 6 egg whites from a carton, 1 oz almond milk cheese from Trader Joe’s, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1/2 cup oats with cinnamon, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, and 1/4 cup raspberries. Stats: 427kcal, 31g protein, 56g carbs, 10g fat)
12:40pm P stayed at school for lunch this day – she does this a couple of times each week so I have a little longer to work- so I grab some turkey rolls before heading out the door.
(3 slices of organic turkey from Trader Joe’s with arugula, hummus, and Dijon. 50 kcal, 11g protein)
3pm: Giant smoothie time! I have a smoothie almost every day since it’s an easy way to get in a lot of nutrients and fiber. We’re on the go so often that it guarantees that I get in some nutrition quickly. It’s really helpful on the days that the girls have after-school activities.
(1 1/2 cups almond milk, 1 scoop Garden of Life protein from Thrive Market, 2 scoops collagen, 1 cup frozen cauliflower, 1 handful spinach, 1 tablespoon flax, 1 tablespoon Nuttzo, 1 pack of Four Sigmatic hot cacao mix. Stats: 450 kcal, 44g protein, 34g carbs, 18g fat)
7pm: Girls’ night!
I don’t track specifically when we go out since I’ve already added my entree and padded it with extra fat. (I think macro counting is a great guide map but if you try to be perfectly accurate 100% of the time, it takes the fun out of life, ya know?) For this meal, I logged a 5 oz piece of grilled salmon, 1 cup of cooked rice, 1 tablespoon of oil, 2 pieces of bread, and a glass of rosé. (850 kcal, 41g protein, 130g carbs, 15g fat) In reality, I had 1 piece of bread, said salmon, mushroom risotto, and a smoky bourbon drink.
Total stats for the day:
(My goal is around 1800 calories, which we’re continuing to increase over time. Before I started tracking macros, I was unintentionally under eating. Emily and I chat all about macro tracking in this podcast episode!)
What I liked about this day of eats:
– I crushed my protein goal and hit all of my targets. I don’t love to eat a ton of meat, so sometimes it’s hard for me to hit the 120g of protein each day. I also feel like I got a good balance of nutrients. I’ve been using Chronometer to track my macros instead of My Fitness Pal and really like it so far. With MFP, I was only focused on hitting macro numbers and ratios. Chronometer takes things to the next level, because it has little bubbles you can fill as you hit each micronutrient. I feel like I eat much better-rounded meals with Chronometer.
What I would have done differently:
– If we weren’t going out to eat and I knew I’d be cooking at home, I’d pre-log my dinner and use lunch and dessert to fill in the gaps. Usually I’ll have a big salad or sandwich with fruit, veggies, dressing, etc. I’ll often have carbs left to hit, so I’ll have one of the classic faves for dessert before bed: a “baked apple” chopped and microwaved for 2 minutes with lots of cinnamon, and then topped with either a tablespoon of Nuttzo or chocolate chips. Before bed, I also like scrambled eggs, cereal with almond milk, and granola. When I’m not saving fats for later in the evening – I love fats so I’m more mindful of serving sizes- I’ll add mayonnaise to my sandwich or sliced avocado to a salad.
I’d love to hear any of your favorite current meal staples! What was the best thing you ate yesterday?
For the OG WIAW creator, check out Peas and Crayons.