10 Ways to Make September Stellar
Last month, I posted a little goal sheet of things to do for the month of August. I figured I’d made it a little monthly tradition over here, since it was so much fun and quite a few of ya participated along with me 🙂
Here’s the list for September:
1) Exercise… your brain! It’s so easy to get out of the habit of challenging your mind on a daily basis- pick up a book that’s a little more studious than your usual fare (if you’re in school, then you have this one taken care of already!) or do some crossword or Sodoku puzzles this month. I want to get back my college-day Sodoku skillz… things have gotten a little more slow over here 😉
2) Pick some apples, or another type of local, seasonal produce. Fall produce is on the way- I can’t wait to swim in pumpkin and butternut squash!! This month, I’m planning a little day trip to Annie’s Apple Orchard, about 45 minutes away from Tucson. You can pick apples off the tree and they also have incredible homemade apple delights, like apple pancakes and apple butter. We will be there 🙂
3) Find some hawt fall leggings. Leggings (and tights!) are autumn’s best transition pieces into cooler weather. I found that whenever I picked up a pair I wasn’t crazy about, they were super uncomfortable and fit kind of weird, and then last year discovered the glory of lululemon Wunder Unders. You can dress them up or down and I’ll be wearing them all fall and winter. Already have a legging lover? Pick up some textured tights 🙂
4) Host a girl’s night. Have a few of your friends over, order take-out or make something easy, and serve cocktails [or mocktails]. My all-time fave: the POMtini 🙂
5) Rock sparkly nailpolish. It’s a biotch to remove, but is so worth it. They’re already releasing amazing sparkly colors for winter, too 🙂 <—I get scary excited about these things. Tip: keep the nails short for sparkle.
6) Commit to a regular form of outdoor exercise. Since the weather is getting nicer –in other places, it’s still over 100* here- it’s a great reason to take your workout outside. Try riding your bike more often, going for outdoor runs or walks, or just longer outings with your dog (or cat? I saw a neighbor walking a cat the other night…).
7) Make pizza from scratch. Don’t be scared 😀 Yeast used to freak me out, and then I tried *this recipe* for pizza dough. Give it a whirl (using flour of choice- I’ve made it with brown rice flour, spelt, whole wheat, and white-wheat mix) and top it with *this sauce* and your fave toppings. You’ll never go back to store-bought 😉
8) Volunteer : one day, one place or cause of your choice. Many animal shelters and rescues need dog walkers, check out events at homeless shelters or food banks near you. I rarely volunteer and it’s something I’d like to get into, now that we’re settled and things are (kinda?) winding down.
9) Master a yoga pose. Crow pose used to make me so anxious! I used that time during class to get a sip of water and look around 😉 And then I practiced… and got it. Pick a pose that’s been giving you trouble and work on it this month (Yoga Journal has awesome tutorials). Don’t practice yoga? Pick one pose and learn it 😀 For me, I’m going to work on birds of paradise- I used to be able to do it with a slightly bent leg, but a pregger belly makes it more challenging 😉
My fave pose:
10) Download a power playlist. Pick some of your favorite songs, plus some new ones for a September cardio playlist. It’s amazing what fresh music will do for motivation 🙂 Here are some songs that will be on mine (I’ll post the full list with the September Schweaty Cardio workout): “Shake Senora” Pitbull, “Americano” Lady Gaga, and “Mr Know It All” Kelly Clarkson.
How are you going to make September Stellar? What’s something you’re excited for this month?
Congrats to the roon winner:
Send me your info, Lizzie and I’ll get your roons in the dehydrator 🙂
Thank you so much to everyone who entered- expect more giveaways in the not-too-distant future <3
If I am correct, you leggings picture was taken on Lexington Ave and East 27 Street in NYC. That is a block from my job. 🙂
yes, curry hill! i’m so jeal you work closeby
Never been. Can I send you a care package? 😉
i wish!!! they have the BEST dosas i’ve ever had. you have to try one!
I’m already working on two of these…just signed up for “school” – a certification – and I’ve got an orientation in two weeks so I can begin volunteering at a local animal shelter!
I saw the name Lizzie and thought it was me!! Sad =( It was not.
I’m working on pigeon pose right now, that will have to be incorporated into my September list!
Also I think it’s funny that the computer turned your 8 with a ) into a sunglasses smiley 8)
I’m excited for a new month, and hopefully cooler temps! It’s supposed to be 99 here today, eek. We’re going to a comedy show Saturday night, so that’s the next fun thing on the list!
Hahaha, Bird of Paradise. My yoga teacher told us to move into bird of paradise from side angle just last night and I was like wah? I had never seen it before and some students were legit rockstars at it. Maybe I’ll put that on my to-do list to practice.
I love this list, Gina!!
This is seriously written for me “Make pizza from scratch. Don’t be scared 😀 Yeast used to freak me out…” <–that's me 100%! Yeast, doughs rising, waiting, kneading, proofing..it all scares me that I’m going to totally mess it up! haha! Thanks for the recipe link.
Love the yoga practice tip, finding hawt leggings, girls night..it's all great!
September is going to be stellar b/c I am going to make my dreams happen. I've hinted around to things on my blog but am diving in even more to my new endeavors hoping to turn passion into career!
I love making pizza from scratch! Yes, it can be scary, but it’s so worth it!! 😀
Kindle interactive material has some good Sudokus. The electronic ones are kind of nice.
I take my cats out for walks with a leash =) I just don’t think it’s safe for cats to roam on their own, but I also don’t want to keep them inside all the time when there is so much fun to be had outside!
I love these lists! I have a hard time making them myself because when I don’t do something I feel very guilty. This is ridiculous, but sometimes if I put something in writing, instead of sticking to it, I actually jinx myself!
My things for September are:
1. Hold a vegan dinner party with friends. I’m vegan but no one else I know is and they always think i’m missing out. So want to show them that I’m not and I can eat lots of yummy things!
2. Go swimming
3. Meditate- I always say I never have time but I’m going to do it at least twice a week and build up. Even if it’s 10 mins per day 🙂
Wow!! I never thought of a monthly list! I’m so inspired!! Making one tonight!
And I’m SOO excited about LEGGING SEASON! Definitely the best clothing season of all.
Leggings are my absolute favorite! They’re fabulous!
I definitely plan on going apple picking this fall! I foresee a lot of apple oatmeal and apple pie in my future. 😀
I have no idea why I haven’t subscribed to you yet! Love your site hun! (and now I’m subscribed!) 😉
I think I may try and follow your list this month…great idea! I’m looking forward to two of my friends getting married this month and also working more on my craft projects.
Great list Gina! I am totally excited for leggings and PUMPKIN everything! I just recently started reading your blog and I love it! I am a soon-to-be AF Pilot’s wife and I couldn’t be happier! Thanks for all the great insight and keep up the great work!
I just moved here a month ago and my air force husband had to go away for eight days last week. It made me realize that my biggest goal this month HAS to be make a friend. I was pretty lonely. I don’t know anyone here. We’re living off-base by choice. I don’t have a job. So…yeah…pushing myself out of my comfort zone and finding a girlfriend is key.
what about your squadron? there has to be a group of wives that will adopt you instantly 🙂
LOVE this post. I already do 6,7,8, and 4 & 10 are goals for me…and I want to buy some Groove shorts from lulu because I run with Healthy Ashley & she says they rock, so I guess that’s close enough to leggings.
I love these lists! Thanks for the motivation to have a great month.
Loveeee this post! Even just having 10 things planned for the month makes it seem so much more productive! I’ll try to stick with this except replace “Master your fave yoga pose” with “Keep up with the Shweaty September workout” 😉 And I’m suuuuuper excited for boot season. Love boot shopping, especially with the awesome Labor Day sales coming up!
heres a fun september fact… its NATIONAL YOGA MONTH!!! ask your local studio if they are running any deals, and if you live in san diego, hit up lululemon for their Sweat Once a Day challenge.
yay for september!
Thanks for the inspiration- I definitely hope to partake in some of the things you mentioned… I’ve gotta make my own September goal list!
i love these! please keep em up!
omg i saw someone walking a cat the other day too! maybe its a new trend?