This Black Bean Soup Recipe is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze.
Oh friends, do I have an awesome spring dinner recipe for you.
Whenever I see my Uncle E the chef, he gives me amazing cooking tips. He is the mastermind behind this salmon, this vegan sushi, and the best pasta salad you will ever have in your entire life. We got to spend some time with him this past weekend, and while he gave me a TON of recipes, the most interesting one was a black bean recipe.
Perfect Black Beans
He told me a story about how they were never his forte, and one of his friends from Key West taught him the tricks to making incredible black beans. I’ll go ahead and tell you the secrets: first, sauté your veggies (onion, peppers, garlic, don’t be stingy with the veggies; the more the merrier).
Add your black bean spices (fajita spices like chili powder, cumin, cayenne, garlic, onion, etc), the black beans, the secret ingredient,
(I KNOW, right?)
and some broth to finish it off. BOOM. Perfect black beans.
Of course, I had to try this method as soon as I could, and after we destroyed the first batch, I made another and turned it into a glorious black bean soup. I added some Almond Breeze for a hint of creaminess, a little chicken broth, and topped it with goat cheese, avocado, cilantro and lime juice.
The Best Black Bean Soup Recipe
You need this in your life.
It’s a thousand times better than my beloved black bean soup from Panera. Give it a whirl for a delicious vegetarian lunch or dinner option! Let me know what you think. 🙂
Here’s the recipe if you’d like to give it a try!
The best black bean soup
A savory black bean fiesta in a bowl
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch cumin
- pinch cayenne
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup Almond Breeze almond milk
- 1/2 cup broth
- crumbled goat cheese, cilantro, sliced avocado and lime juice for serving
- 1. Heat a large saucepan to medium, and add a splash of olive oil.
- 2. Add you bell peppers, onion and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently until aromatic and slightly softened.
- 3. Add the seasonings, and stir to fully coat the veggies. Reduce the heat to low and add the black beans.
- 4. Next, add your marinara sauce and stir well.
- 5. Gently pour in the Almond Breeze and broth, stir to heat through (but do not boil) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6. Serve into bowls and top with crumbled goat cheese, cilantro and lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 4
Any random secret ingredients you like to add to certain things? I like to add a pinch of sugar to marinara sauce, and (as I learned from Rachael Ray back in the day) a bit of nutmeg to casseroles.
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, my favorite almond milk. Thank you so much for supporting this little blog. <3