[This is sponsored by Pure Maple Syrup Canada, which is one of my favorite natural sweeteners. Read on for a simple yet decadent vegan ice cream recipe]
The ice cream machine:
We keep this stashed in the pantry of kitchen appliance wedding gifts. Many that were initially used with gusto, but now sit waiting to be unearthed for a special occasion. While going through the laundry room, I saw the serving trays and dishes that were once used on a weekly basis for dinner parties. I’d definitely like to get in the hang of that again! But for now, I’m reacquainting myself with the ice cream machine.
This recipe was made possible by my wonderful nana, aka the woman with the incredible Mary Poppins bag. No joke, at any time of the day, you could ask her for anything (comb? knife? nail clippers? house plant?) and it will appear from her handbag. The bowl to the ice cream maker was in that category. We accidentally left it in the freezer at our Tucson house, and while we were moving out, nana saved it for us. For her first visit to San Diego, she had it with her. I definitely needed to make ice cream to celebrate 🙂
This vegan ice cream uses coconut milk for a deliciously creamy texture, along with soaked cashews (as a thickening agent. If you’re allergic, Thai coconut meat works well too.) and pure maple syrup for sweetness. Over 80% of the world’s syrup comes from Canada, and exciting news: I’ll be traveling there for the first time fairly soon. My dream of a maple syrup-soaked snowball may actually come true 😉
For this ice cream recipe, I combined the base ingredients with some cinnamon and vanilla. That’s it! 5 ingredients in the blender, and poured into the ice cream maker.
After about 30 minutes, this is what it looked like:
I transferred the mixture to a loaf pan for easy serving, and set it in the fridge to freeze completely.
It’s light and refreshing for a perfect summer treat, but the maple and cinnamon flavors make it perfect for year-round enjoyment.
Here’s the recipe if you’d like to give it a try! You could easily customize with your favorite mix-ins, too.
Vegan maple cinnamon ice cream
An easy and delicious ice cream recipe using 5 whole ingredients. Sweetened with maple syrup and spiced with a cinnamon kick!
- Prep Time: 60
- Cook Time: 180
- Total Time: 240
- -2 cans (5.46oz each) coconut milk (I used light, but regular would be even more decadent)
- -1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 1 hour and rinsed
- -1 cup pure Canada maple syrup (check your label as many syrups have added ingredients. Look for pure maple syrup)
- -1 teaspoon cinnamon
- -1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1. Blend all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy.
- 2. Pour into the ice cream maker and allow to process according to manufacturer’s directions.
- 3. Transfer the mixture to a covered glass dish and place in the freezer to freeze completely, at least a couple of hours.
- 4. Serve with fresh mint as a garnish.
- -Thai coconut meat is a great substitute for cashews
- -Add any mix-ins you’d like! Chocolate chips, gluten-free brownie bites, mini marshmallows.. the possibilities are endless
- -Use this as the ice cream for a delicious root beer float!
- Serving Size: 4
This post is sponsored by Pure Maple Syrup Canada. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that help to support this blog <3